Mel Gibson

Why I Want to Make A

Jewish Hero Movie

9/10/2011 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_mel_gibson_ex
Mel Gibson has a passion for the story of Judah Maccabee, one of the greatest Jewish heroes of all time, but is not doing the movie as an act of contrition.

Sources very close to Mel tell TMZ ... Gibson does not feel the need to bridge a gap between himself and the Jewish community, because he doesn't believe a gap exists.  They say Mel is adamant -- he does not hate Jews, noting that his lawyers are Jewish, his publicist is Jewish, and he has many Jewish friends and employees.

As for Mel's anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 DUI arrest, Mel has written two public letters of apology and also met with numerous leaders in the Jewish community to discuss where he went wrong.

0909_mel_docs
As for the movie, Mel has wanted to produce it for a decade, telling our sources it's actually a statement against corruption in the church.  Mel believes Maccabee's story parallels the modern church, and he thinks the movie will help force change.

snake

Passion of the Christ was one of the most distorted, antisemitic movies made.!

Tellthetruth59

The Passion of the Christ was based on sacred scripture and the writings of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich. Maybe it's just Christianity in general that people find so offensive. Heh...

fuddyduddy

The Rabbis are making themselves look worse than Mel!!!

LOL!

Trix LaRue

What a strange little story for TMZ to run...Not much news in it. Its more like propaganda. It leaves me wondering if Mel pays for these stories or is he buddies with someone at TMZ. Maybe someone just manipulates TMZ to print this stuff....kind of puts their integrity (yea I said it) in question.

maya

JUstin,
What is the point of Mel Gibson speaking they will only twist and distort and mock the man.
How many times does the man have to say, I don't hate jews, I don't hate blacks,I don't hate gays and I don't hate women? Tell us JUstin, how many times?

Maya 28

JUstin

Mel Gibson's supporters have what I call the " O. J syndrome " - That is , feeling the need to defend a Douche bag , just because they happen to share your skin color ..How do you know you are suffering from this syndrome ? Well , slap a Face Picture of a fellow woman beater , chris brown on Mel Gibson , stand back and see if you still feel the same way about the image..lol

Politico Pablo

A lot of Jewish leaders were against the making of "The Passion", but he made it anyway. I don't think one needs to be of the Jewish faith in order to make films of this type.

Pimpcessa

Love the "holier than thou" attitude coming from the Mel haters. Yet, their too stupid to figure out that they (and the rabbi) are doing to Mel what they claim Mel did.
And while y'all enjoy sitting up there on your judgemental thrones, trying to ruin another person, know one thing......you are not qualified to judge anyone and you're making asses out of yourselves.

JUstin

Well, I'm Black so according to you I think OJ is not guilty - humm, maybe you're right 'cause I kinda believe he covered for his son, and I do think that "Baretta" guy is guilty, so again you might have something (you must think he's innocent since you share his skin color and feel the need to say OJ when speaking of azzholes getting away with murder). Still, I support Mel-but don't share his skin color. Oh Lordy, woe is me! I still feel the same way about the image LOL-----------------------------------------------------------------------

First , don't be so Presumptuous ..lol - Second , you are not going to get off that easy..Tell me exactly how you feel about the image ...About Chris Brown ( with the new body..lol)

JUstin

If you want to compare pictures, why don't you compare the picture of (1)Rihanna to the(2) Mordovian musician. When you have, get back to us with your explanation as to why there were no bruises or cuts around the mouth in picture #2.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.M.G - Do you now see what the O.J syndrome does to you ? We are now comparing varying degrees of Spousal abuse -What ? Mel Gibson doesn't hit hard enough ?

Badger003

OK, Mel gets drunk and rants against Jews. Some Jew*****e his guts and REFUSE to forgive him AFTER he repeatedly repents. What do these same Jews think of the Jews who have been caught SPYING on America. Here's a partial list:

Alger Hiss, Whitaker Chambers, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Jonathan Pollard (who cost us billions to redo Naval security defences. Or how about the Israeli Air Force attack on the USS Liberty in 1967, which killed 34 Americans for no reason. It was a clear day and the US flag was proudly and prominently flying, fore and aft. The Israel government apologized for their "mistake", which lasted over an HOUR, by the way! I guess we should be like the UNFORGIVING Jews and tell Israel to go to hell when they request and GET BILLIONS in US aid each year. Is that how we shoudl react? Among the other members in the "Hall of Enemies of the Jews" is Bernie Maddoff and Hitler. Gee???

Lola

Harvey Levin of TMZ is the main instigator behind the "hate Mel Gibson" campaign. Being a Jewish gay man, he can't let this thing go. I see that Gibson's drunken rant was in 2006, almost 6 years ago. Yet Harvey keeps talking about it as if it happened yesterday. As Mr. Gibson says, he has many Jewish business associates and friends. They don't seem to be holding this grudge that Harvey hangs onto. Not one of them has ever said Mel Gibson was a bigot in any way. TMZ/Harvey want to get all the personal benefit they think they can get from this man. The only thing I have against Gibson is that he cheated on and divorced his wife of many years, and took up with that Russian evil slut. There I question his judgment for sure.

Belinda

Hi folks.

I lurked around yesterday and went around the internet to read most of the articles about this project and to read as many comments as I could. What I came away with was that a lot of people are thinking that these organizations are taking this too far now. These leaders should now do as they preach.

There comes a point when apologies are no longer the question, and the question becomes ‘why’ the recipient is not gracious enough to accept them.

What are they afraid of? Is it that Mel might make a really great epic about their Jewish hero Judah Maccabee as he did with the Passion of the Christ and Braveheart and Apocolyto? Where would they be then? They might have to look for a new whipping post to satisfy their existence.

It’s a shame because there is a really great opportunity for growth here and it’s being replaced by more hate mongering. Is that what these leaders are trying to teach people? To keep the hatred alive? I think this is truly sad to watch.

Personally I was a little disappointed at first, I really wanted to see the Viking movie as his next project, but after reading the ‘Atlanta’ I realized that Mel is really enthusiastic and excited about telling the story of this great warrior Maccabee. Whether it be that Mel is trying to prove once and for all that he wants to reach out to the Jewish community and prove to them he is NOT the ‘anti-Semite’ that they are accusing him of being or that he simply wants to bring to the big screen the story of one of their heros, the Jewish community should embrace it and work with him. If Mel is trying, the least these people can do is wait and see how it turns out. Mel has an excellent track record of for making these types of movies, I am sure he will not disappoint. He has been wanting to tell this story for a long time now.

helios

Like Jewish people aren't racist against other cultures and religions. There are a lot of Jewish leaders who should be apologizing to Mel for being intolerant themselves.

Sami

Okay, people! This man has paid his dues- let it go!!! He deserves another chance just like anyone else!!!