'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

James

Awfully young to be taken. Makes you think about what's important, enjoying each and every day, it's a gift. My prayers to his family.

Mary

Andy Whitfield was pimping for the homosexuals and God slew him for it. God hates homosexuals, but He also hates straight people who promote it as good, wholesome, and normal.

thecaptain

Definitely sucks. I read somewhere that he was an excellent individual both on and off the stage. Sad to hear about his death.

Seattle

So Sad! I loved that show, was very sad to know that he was not able to return do to the cancer. He was an amazing actor.

cathie

What a shock! I didn't know he was sick. I work with someone who had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma twice, and the 2nd time she had stem cell replacement therapy. Was out of work for nearly a year, but came back about 5 years ago. So sad he didn't survive the disease. I will chant for him and Vashti and for everyone who knew him and loved him.

Diana

Oh man. I was just thinking about him today and wondering how he was doing. He was so excellent as Spartacus. So..so sad. My husband and I didn'*****ch the prequel because we knew he wasn't in it. He was just in the perfect role! All the best to his wife and family. A great man who will be sorely missed!

Jaime

this is to bad it was such a great show

Krystina

:(((( this is sooooo soooo sad, won't be the same without him. Prayers going out to his family! I couldn't imagine watching a loved one go through something like this! :(

Jose Cansaco

Very sad. Prayers to his family and friends

rudiville

R.I.P Blood and Sands :-(........

patrick.L.chen

a good actor, such a pity !

Sonja

Wow, that's so sad to hear. They did the last season of Spartacus as a prequel in hopes that Andy would be well enough to maybe pick up the show again the third season, they only recently recast his Spartacus role.

patrick.L.chen

we will miss him....

DubstepDistribution

RIP Man.

Charles Torres

We are so sorry for your loss....we loved his work and we pray for your family and our heart goes out to you! God bless you in your time of need!