"Dancing With the Stars"

Shrink Group Cool With Kids

Watching Chaz Bono Dance

9/12/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_chaz_EX_01
Chaz Bono dancing the Cha Cha on TV ... in front of your kids ... will NOT make them want to have a sex change -- at least according to the American Psychiatric Association.

In a recent article, psychiatrist and former talk show host Dr. Keith Ablow suggested kids could develop Gender Identity Disorder (GID) just from watching Chaz on "Dancing With the Stars."

John M. Oldham, M.D. -- the APA President -- acknowledges GID is a psychiatric disorder ... but also told TMZ, "There is no evidence that viewing a television game show with a transgender contestant would induce Gender Identity Disorder in young people."

KD

I'm not worried my kids will want their wee-wee's cut off or my daughter to start wearing flannel. I just don't want them having horrid nightmares about being chased by the Bearded Lady! Auugghh!!! She's coming closer! I can smell her cheap Brut!!

GG

I will not be watching DWTS this go round. Sorry Chaz, your not my cup of soup, never will be. Stop force feeding folks.

hoosier

My kids won't be watching because I wont be watching. I do not agree with having a transgender or gay man on the show.

Whatever

Why bring it up to a child in the first place? It's just a show. He looks like a man so any child watching won't know he's a transgender UNLESS the parent points it out. Why does someone's sexual preference have to be brought up in the first place? Oh right...ratings. I may stop watching if DWTS continues to have B, C and D list people (not "stars") on their show.

Cooley

Of course kids can't develop gender identity disorder just from watching. Duh. The problem is who wants their kids to know this is an option until they fully develop? Who wants to have transgender discussions with their kids before puberty or adulthood? I don't want my son or daughter weighing getting an operation to shift genders when they are 8 or 10. It's just not something they should think about period.

Transgender is an adult issue. I would definitely not let my kids watch dancing with the stars because Chaz has proved unfortunately and boringly to be the primary focus and they will want to know why since he's so darn uninteresting.

For that doctor not to think that there are other reasons to keep children from watching.... it's not that they themselves will cross over ... it's that they dont' need to be exposed to this or discuss this or consider this as if this is natural part of human development.

Muppet

Why can people not just accept people for who they are? TMZ needs to stop stirring the pot and just report on the dancers and dancing! That's what the show is supposed to be about TMZ! Stop trying to shift the focus! Leave him be and let's see how he does with the dancing!

Heilige Bimbam

Chaz Bono, is a puzzle. She used to be a homosexual female, living with anther homosexual female. Now, she is using male hormones and surgery to become a man. Is he a man? Then how do you explain his sexual relationship with a lesbian partner? Chaz still has female external genitals, she is still in a lesbian relationship. If she became a man that lesbian partner would have to leave, so what is Chaz now?

Rogue Warrior

Chaz has been dating his girlfriend for a while who is a lesbian. If she's a lesbian what's she want to do with "him" now???

Randy

someone tell this freak that she has a vagina & to stop trying to be a man, that is all.

Big D

Chaz isn't famous for anything.... maybe her mom and dad's show 35 years ago....quit try to shove your freaky sexuality up our asses....oh wait you can't, you don't have a penis...

eyecandy

maybe Chaz should talk to Serena Williams & find out what gives?

Stan

Shamae on the 28% who say "NO". Your so ignorant about life. Sheltering your kids from tyhen you don't understand only makes your childern grow tto be bigots!

poppy

I dont care that the shrinks dont think it will... I dont want my kid being part of any person that is confused in their identity. Taking offf/adding parts dont change your DNA which for a woman still shows as mitochondria, for a man not so. So please stop trying to push your views on others as I return the favor for you!!!!!!!!

esther

Is that Dr Ablow really licensed by a state board of medicine. Is he really credentialed by the American psychiatry association. He is a total raving lunatic. He's exactly what one would expect from Fox's house doctor.

harv

Just looking at her will make anyone not want to have a sex change... They did an horrible job, she went from being a chubby girl to an over weight man. I would ask for my money back...