Doritos Creator Dies

Gets Tastiest Funeral EVER!

9/26/2011 12:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_doritos_EXD_01
The SNACK GOD who invented DORITOS has passed away ... but TMZ has learned his funeral is nacho average ceremony ... 'cause the guy will be buried with 3 FLAVORS of his prized invention.

Arch West -- the 97-year-old ex-Frito-Lay legend -- died last week, and his daughter announced the family plans on "tossing Doritos chips in before they put the dirt over the urn" when he is buried.

TMZ spoke with West's son-in-law ... who tells us the family will use Original, Cool Ranch and Nacho flavored Doritos, since those were West's favorite. He was NOT a fan of the Cheeseburger flavor, so those will not be used.

According to his daughter, West came up with the idea for Doritos during a family vacation to San Diego ... when he discovered a snack shack selling fried tortilla chips in 1961.

Snack strong in heaven, Arch.

She's baaaack

This is a sad day for all those morbidly obese, unwashed folks that sit behind a computer in their trailers all day eating Doritos. RIP Dorito guy. Thanks for adding to the obesity epidemic.

zman

Very sad, yet, are they burying him with the Doritos in an attempt to bring him back to life like they did in the one superbowl commercial...???? Just saying...

Cheryl A.

Hang on a sec.... he found a snack shack selling fried tortilla chips and viola"" HE disovered Doritos? Hmmmm.

Ghost Rider

Family trip to SD huh? I hate San Diego and I hate Doritos even more.

CountryGal

RIP! I love Doritos... Anyone who is obese has no self control. That's their problem. **** Michelle Obama and her " noone can eat anything fattening but me and my husband" tour.

James R. - Los Angeles

I would have used PRINGLES . . .

small asian penis

That stuff is covered in MSG.

Amanda

The Original Taco Flavor is my favorite.

Leader of the ignorant masses

Stoners everywhere scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" in unison.

danny B

That would be funny if he came back as Chester Cheetah.

Josh Stewart

Yeah, I too picked up on the fact that the idea for Doritos came to the inventor based upon what amounts to eating the same thing made by a "snack shack." Gotta love the reference to the true inventor. Is it possible to be more vague than "snack shack," in the entire State of Florida? What irony. The fact that West is not the true inventor of Doritos doesn't come about until his death; and only through a slip of the tongue of a family member.

Nostradamus

Original flavor? When did they stop selling those?

osteenq

Doritos are disgusting. Just being in the same room with an open bag of them is enough to make me dry heave from the stink.

Barbarascy

There is one flavor of Doritos that I had to live without for about 23 years or so. That's the Taco Doritos. They came back this year and for that I will eternally thank Mr. West. They are as good as ever. It so good to have them back. Bad for my breath, but good for my tummy! RIP Arch West.

Monica

Man was a genius (oh, and to the haters, I'm 5.9 and a half and weigh 130 lbs and I'm in my 30s). Glad heaven will have doritos when I get there. RIP, great man, you made me very happy and will continue to do so until the last day I take my breath.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments