Homeless 'Harry Potter' Dog

Too Famous to Adopt

10/7/2011 8:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1006_shepherd_gsdr_exBerry -- the dog that played Padfoot in "Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban" -- will remain an orphan for the next few weeks -- because the people who run the rescue shelter where he lives have decided he's too famous to adopt.

10-year-old Berry's original owner (a stuntman) put the dog up for adoption because he was too busy to take care of it --  but a rep for the German Shepherd Dog Rescue in the UK tells TMZ, the charity won't let anyone adopt Berry until the publicity surrounding the HP movies has died down.

1006_PADFOOT_hp_SUBAccording to the rep, the rescue is worried someone will adopt Berry just for his star power -- not for his companionship.

In the meantime, the rep says, "We are busy home checking lots of new people ... and then will decide if one of them is good enough."

1007_doggie_dress_up_footer

KittyKittyKitty

Yikes! Woof Woof!

anon.

I'm sure someone will adopt him and give him a good home.

cindy

Let him be adopted. The poor dog needs a good home!

Jenny

How anyone can give up their GSD is hard for me to comprehend (especially at 10 years old!!). Most loyal breed ever. I can't imagine my GSD being taken to a shelter not knowing who it will end up with! Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

eivissa

I don't think they should have told anyone that the dog was in the movie.

I think it's quite obvious that there would be tons of people that would take the dog only for the big bucks in the future.

They should have kept it a secret.

the real diva

aw. i hope they find him a good home. i cannot imagine putting a dog up for adoption after 10 yrs. that poor dog..i hope someone adopts and loves him for him and not because he was in a movie.

Lizzie

Well that's heart breaking! Poor Puppy!

Sonja

That is stupid. No one would have known if the shelter hadn't said anything in the first place, shame on them.

Carl

Not sure how you give up a family member because you are too busy, but at least he'll probably get a better home. If he actually cared about that dog he could have hired a professional pet sitter to help out when he's busy.

Different Rules Apply

If they kept the identity of the dog from the public this wouldn't be a problem! The dog needs a home, not a cage -- let him be adopted - the dog doesn't know he is famous - he just wants a family.

i said lesbians...

EXPECTOOOO PATRONUMMMMM!

YouDontSay

German Shepherds are my favorite. The closest you can get to a child. I cannot imagine under any cir****tances that a german shepherd would need to be in a shelter. I still cry sometimes over the death of my female, but my male is still with me (forever!)

M Cieri

Odds are the dog is in England, but I'l take him in if no one else will. And no one will ever know his real identity. Please feel free to send my email address to the shelter tha thas him.

Cybersleuth

Yeah, that makes sense. Have the dog living in a crumby, caged shelter rather than enjoy the merits of being able to run free on a farm or along the shoreline of some beach. Sounds like the shelter people are more out for themselves than the dog.

jackie

thats such bull.. he needs a home so give him one!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments