Homeless 'Harry Potter' Dog

Too Famous to Adopt

10/7/2011 8:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1006_shepherd_gsdr_exBerry -- the dog that played Padfoot in "Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban" -- will remain an orphan for the next few weeks -- because the people who run the rescue shelter where he lives have decided he's too famous to adopt.

10-year-old Berry's original owner (a stuntman) put the dog up for adoption because he was too busy to take care of it --  but a rep for the German Shepherd Dog Rescue in the UK tells TMZ, the charity won't let anyone adopt Berry until the publicity surrounding the HP movies has died down.

1006_PADFOOT_hp_SUBAccording to the rep, the rescue is worried someone will adopt Berry just for his star power -- not for his companionship.

In the meantime, the rep says, "We are busy home checking lots of new people ... and then will decide if one of them is good enough."

1007_doggie_dress_up_footer

commie

Ebay

Atlanta

Hmmm just don't mention the dog was in the movie!

Superman

It sounds like the Dog Rescue wants to keep him for the publicity and for more money!!!

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

It sort of seems like the shelterers are the ones making a big deal about the dog's star power.

CountryGal

What a ****ty dog owner! He served his purpose making him some dough so he throws him in a shelter?? What a douche bag. They need to get this pup in a home so he can enjoy his last years.

Michelle

Are you kidding me?! Just let someone adopt the poor dog. He probably wouldn't be in that position if the people trying to adopt him out hadn't said anything about him being 'famous'.

Leader of the ignorant masses

This actually makes sense. Too many people want to profit by exploitation. And an animal cannot speak up for itself. Better to find the dog a good home rather than unload it on just anyone. Too bad every dog does not get that same treatment, or kids in foster care for that matter.

TS

That is crap...like people are going to walk into a shelter and say "OH I Recognize that dog from Harry Potter...I bet if We adopt him we can teach him to sign autographs and make millions." How many people are actually going to recognize a dog....sounds like the shelter just wants to make money of the dog...what a shame

J

This poor handsome boy! I see this is as a publicity stunt on the shelter/rescues part. No one would ever recognize this sweet boy by looking at the picture of the dog in Harry Potter. I really hope the family he goes home to isn't in it for the 'famous'.

Karla

I have an 11 year old German Shepherd/Border Collie mix, love the breed, I would adopt this dog in a second..he's beautiful..

CS

I sort of understand their point. But that poor dog. i bet his owner had enough time to spend whatever the dog made in payment for his appearances in Harry Potter. What a loser. Ship the dog to the US, I'll take him!

danielle

WHY DON'T THEY JUST NOT TELL PEOPLE WHO HE IS! DUH!
"Oh mummy look! Its the Harry Potter dog! Let's get him!"
"How do you know that's him?"
"He's black!"
:rolls eyes::

JoeH

I would take him, i love German Shepherds, I'm not an HP fanatic and would love him as just a dog, let him live the rest of his life comfortably without all the stress and confusion, eat, sleep, poop, that's it.

TMP

Have any potential owner sign a form saying they wont exploit the dog... the dog should have never ended up in a shelter in the first place.. AND it sounds like this shelter is using the dog to get some publicity... all they had to do was NOT tell anyone who the dog was in the first place.

Sunrise35

I'd take him in minute, Ive never gotten into Harry Potter anyways I havent even finish one of the movies. Get this boy a home asap so he can enjoy his golden years. I have 2 senior GSD's I find myself questioning if I could ever do the puppy thing again seniors are so mellow & loveable. Anybody would be lucky to have him. The guy dumped him is a total turd! Dogs are life long commitment you dont just bail on them you make it work.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments