'American Hoggers'

Under Attack

for Ultra-Violent Pig Slaughter

10/22/2011 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1021_peta_american_hogers_ex
The gun-toting family on A&E's new reality show "American Hoggers" are under fire from an animal rights group for the gruesome way the pigs are "tied up and shot" on the show ... TMZ has learned.

In case you haven't seen it -- "American Hoggers" follows Jerry "Hog Boss" Campbell ... and his family as they hunt and kill feral pigs ... armed with hunting dogs and guns. It's pretty graphic ... even for A&E.

The show just premiered this week -- and it didn't take long for PETA to take notice. In fact, the animal rights org. has just released a statement saying, "the Campbells' show promotes cruel animal-control measures and gross mistreatment of wildlife."

PETA claims it acknowledges that feral pigs can be problematic in parts of Texas, but the group says, "If property owners insist on lethal control, then feral hogs should be cage-trapped and afforded a quick, painless death."

We reached out to A&E for comment, and so far haven't received a response.

** WARNING -- the clip is very graphic **

102111_hoggers_still

Tiggy

OKAY to those on here that claim there are from TEXAS! I am a native Texan and this show sounds like what I was raised with...a bunch of "wannabe cowboys" that think because they have a gun are tough. No just small minded and other things. I carry a gun (legally licensed) and I only kill something when I have to put it out of it's misery. I don't tie it up first and torture the critter. Another thing..they don't just run ramped in Tx, I live out on 60 acres in the middle of Tx and "ain't seen one yet"..(did I get my twang sound right). I understand protecting your property and cattle, etc. BUT TORTURE IT NOT THE MANLY/HU"MAN"LY THING TO DO. If you need me to teach you how to hunt, let me know. Yelp, all 110# of my wee self can out shoot ya any day!!

Twiggy

TIME TO TAKE A&E TO THE MAT OR SHOOTING RANGE....WHOOPSY!!!
I PERSONALLY WILL BE BOYCOTTING THIS NETWORK GOING FORWARD, HOPEFULLY OTHERS WILL TOO! ALSO WILL BE CONTACTING A&E TO LET THEM KNOW THIS AINT OVER TILL THIS SHOW IF OFF THE AIR!!

Sparky

The problem catching the hogs by cage is that the heat of the Texas sun would surely extend the hogs suffering and eventual death more than a bullet to head would.

Paul

I don't see any problem with it..

mike

I really like that oversized cowboy hat the kid robert wears can anyone give me the name of it or how to contact them to ask

ted

PETA is dumb, they have to tie up the hogs for safety purposes they are powerful animals with sharp tusks and teeth, do you want wild hogs to be encroaching on residential areas and putting children in danger? Get real PETA, what's a faster death then a gunshot to the head?

Jennifer

I REFUSE to watch this show! I don't care what they are "taking over", the wild land is where they LIVE, and slaughtering them for entertainment is just plain wrong! I hope this show is cancelled, and fast. Reality TV has gone way too far with this one!

Shady's Lady

Any one seen kookie the Klown. I'm in need of one of his delicious pork recipes. I'm thinkin Southern Style Pulled Pork. Oh yea baby.

Shady's Lady

Cimarron

Why do I never hear PETA taking on hunters in Spain for their treatment of their hunting greyhounds after hunting season is over. When they're no longer needed, these beautiful dogs have acid thrown on them, hung, abandoned or used as target practice.

Kath

I am an animal lover and NOT a fan of PeTA. I hate to see any animal suffer unnecessarily, but wild hogs are a "whole 'nother critter".

wild hogs may prey on fawns, young lambs, and kid goats.

They carry disease: Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains.

They are well-equipped with sharp tusks and can defend themselves. I see no problem with the use of dogs to eradicate problem hogs.

Don

You know what? Shoot the fk*n hicks instead for some good entertainment... It's kind of scary knowing there are idiots tha*****ch this ****.. The are the pigs....

TexasJamboree

Until you have been up close and personal with a feral hog, don't judge hunters using dogs or any other means of trying to harness an out of control population of nasty disposition, unhealthy corruption of waterways rootin' tootin' critters! Do you honestly think that humans can find feral anythings without help???
I guess PETA thinks the little piggies just walk innocently into traps and lay down and wait until the captors come and gently euthanize them. Puhleeze!

Ray

I love it! keep em coming A&E.

Armyguy78

Go to Los Angeles setup a PETA rally. Then one hour later have a PRO-Choice rally. See how many people show up to both of them in support.

Save a pig, eat a baby.