'X Factor'

Unintentional Reuniter of

Sweaty '80s Glam Band

10/28/2011 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Xavion
He lost out on $5 mil ... but "X Factor" reject Dexter Haygood got one hell of a parting gift from the show ... a chance at a reunion with his old band -- the first all black rock group ever featured on MTV.

Haygood was the frontman of the funk/rock sextet known as Xavion -- they were huge in the '80s ... for a minute ... even briefly touring with Hall & Oates.

But the guys went their separate ways ... and completely lost touch with Haygood ... unaware that he struggled with substance abuse and wound up on the streets.

So, when Haygood appeared on the show as a contestant ... the other band members were shocked -- and most of the guys instantly reached out to their old friend.

Now, TMZ has learned ... the guys are hoping to get the whole band back together in an effort to put together some reunion shows ... or even perform on "X Factor" ... if producers are up for it.

TMZ spoke with Dexter ... who tell us, "I'm really excited to work with my old band," adding "I'm more than hopeful that 'The X Factor' will invite us to perform on the finale."

Fingers crossed.

Tee

awful!

Jackie

Ha ha...Nice friends he has. They come back when he is On TV?

makeitstop

so NOW they want him??

nickie101

Dexter Rocks!!

jxtr

I remember a lot of 80s MTV video groups, however, I do not remember them at all.

AndUKnowThisMan

Yea would be pretty cool to see them perform on the finale! Dexter was kind of a cry babay on the show. You could tell he didnt have anything to go back to and would do whatever it took to get to the next round.... so you can't hate on that!

Truth

YUUUCK!!! HE SUCKED WAAAY TOO MUCH ON XFACTOR. WHAT MAKES HIM THINK THEY WANT AN OLD HAS BEEN BAND WITH A LEAD SINGER THAT CANT EVEN SING LIVE AS GOOD AS MARIAH CAREY CAN LIP SYNC ON STAGE?? BESIDES, XFACTOR ONLY HAS RELEVANT ACTS FOR FINAL SHOWS NOT A FEW DEAD BLACK GUYS. TRUTH!!!

DirtySouth

I remember this band, and Dexter's awful prancing around the stage. I always thought he was some cheap Prince rip-off. Well, if they get back together, I expect Dexter to go on some kind of divo trip because he's the only one who's now had any success since then. When that happens, the s**t's going of the rails. So, buh-bye reunion.

dgn4369

I remember that band. Back in the mid 80's, Las Vegas where I grew up had a free uhf music video channel called Vusic 21 that played the hell out of that video. Haven't seen that in 25 years, talk about a blast from the past, always loved that song.

FlamingoNut

I'm stuck in the 80s, and never heard of this band or this song, and I've heard boatloads of bad 80s music. The only black rock band from the 80s that I remember is Living Colour, and they were great, and still are...

bc

Telling 5 femmes to throw on some studded bracelets and spandex doesnt make them heavy metal...This is the type of videos you see beavis and butthead watching

St James III

This is BRUTAL!!

Joe

I can see why he's on the street. Acting like a cheap Prince during the time of drugs and such. I bet that helped fuel his "antics" onstage. I didn'*****ch much of the leadup to XFactor except his performance on the day he got booted and I thought he wasn't good. I was thinking some drugs or he was bi-polar or something.

Mikey

The instant reach out.

markie

I wonder if the disembodied hand sings in sign language?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments