Chaz Bono

The Report of My Death

Is Greatly Exaggerated

11/4/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1104_chaz_bono_doclaunch3_EX
Chaz Bono is pissed off at the National Enquirer for running a story that predicts he will DIE in 4 years -- claiming the whole thing's a "smear campaign" that's "blatantly false" ...  TMZ has learned.

The "story" is plastered right on the cover of the Nov. 11 issue with a headline that screams, "Chaz Bono -- ONLY 4 YEARS TO LIVE."

The article cites "expert" opinions from a guy named Dr. Patrick Wanis, who claims Chaz's weight combined with the stress and various medications associated with his gender reassignment "increase Chaz's risk of an early death." The Enquirer says Wanis predicts Chaz will likely die by 2015.

But Chaz claims the whole thing is a steaming pile of crap -- and his legal team fired off a letter to the Enquirer demanding they print a retraction and issue a public apology ASAP.

In the letter, Chaz's lawyer calls the story, "blatantly false and defamatory" -- adding, "The salacious and inflammatory headline and article were crafted for the malicious purpose of discriminating against our client's gender and sexual orientation."

"Further, the statements you attribute to Dr. Patrick Wanis and your depiction of him as a medical doctor specializing in transgender health issues are highly misleading and blatantly false."

Chaz's lawyer says if the Enquirer does not retract the story, Chaz will sue.

chaz lane

Look at how obese she is... and this Dancing thing is probable the most active she's been in a long time. She could easily go in the next four years. She doesn't know when she's going to die, so she can't say the report is false. If a doctor sat her down and told her that, I guess that would be false too.

Carl

All along I've felt he needs to worry more about his weight than his gender. I'm all for Chaz living as a man, but the Enquirer is right, if he doesn't deal with his weight issues he won't last long.

Kari

I have respect for Chaz--he has held up to a lot of scrutiny much better than many of us would. And I think the National Enquirer should apologize, but I don't see where their comments are something you can sue for. Also, why does Chaz need a "legal team"? I'm just not getting that one.

Sonya in Tx

She can always play "Fat Bastard" in the next Austin Powers movie.....

Mitch

He/she died the day he/she had his/her add-a-****-to-me operation.

moe l.

We can only hope Dr. Wanis is correct.

kar

I can't believe people actually look at that trash magazine. Everything they write is a bunch of lies. Why do people but it? I will never understand.

6one9

WHy doesn't Cher just give Chaz a few million bucks so that he/she can go live a decent life away from Hollyweird. Chaz is famous for 2 things ````
1. Being Sonny and Cher`s kid
2. She's ``` a he.
That's it!!!
Why was Chaz even on `````````` DWTS??
Chaz is ``````````` NO STAR!!

SantaFeJack

It is quite apparent from the voting on DWTS that the LGBT community has rallied behind Chaz Bono. Further unprovoked attacks on Chaz only act as catalysts for his further defense.
Haters: You've been warned!

SantaFeJack

cxzxcz

Flower

She's only upset because the Enquirer is always right! A headline on the cover of the Enquirer, announcing impending death, is better than a voodoo curse. It's gonna happen, "Chaz". Ta-ta!

SantaFeJack

Based on the unusual number of votes for so many comments, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks like the entire staff of the National Enquirer signed up to put comments on TMZ today. Hell, the NE hasn't had this much publicity in a decade. It's either the staff or the ten people in TMZ's audience who are stupid enough to buy NE.

dg101

I'm neither right-wing, nor homophobic, but cutting your tits off and mutilating your genitals doesnt make you a different sex. It makes you a surgically altered man or woman. There's all this "It's how I feel inside!" Really? What does being male feel like? What does being a female feel like? I'm a male and I sure as **** don't feel anything about being a man other than the knowledge that I was born with testicles. Is it because you're attracted to the same sex? Because that just means you're a homosexual. Doesn't make you a different gender. You're not embracing yourself, you're pretending to be something you're not. That's exactly what she's doing. And you'd think a woman who walks around playing pretend that she's a man would at least have a bit of a thicker skin.

Willie'sNelson

On the one hand its a crumy story to print about somene. On the other hand it looks like its not so hard to beleive. He is morbidly overweigt and looks unwell.

Willie'sNelson

dg101, I'm gonna add to what you said. I think Chaz's attitude is still female. No mans gonna be upset about his weigt or being called a penguin. We jest dont care and thats that. Gettin all huffy and demanding retractions is somethin a gal would do. Their the ones who git hurt feelings about weigt comments. And us guys dont git why their all huffy cause they look good to us. Well, except maybe Chaz at his weigt.