Andy Rooney

Dead at 92

11/5/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1105_andy_rooney_getty_bn
CBS icon Andy Rooney -- who was with the network for nearly 60 years -- died yesterday ... reps at CBS confirm.

Rooney had been hospitalized last month for "serious complications" following minor surgery.

Details of Rooney's condition had not been released.

"60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager released a statement saying, "It's a sad day for everybody here at CBS News ... it's hard to imagine not having Andy around. He loved his life and he lived it on his own terms. We will miss him very much."

Rooney last appeared on "60 Minutes" on October 2 -- in which he marveled at the weight of his new laptop computer ... saying, "It weights less than 3 pounds ... I lose that much getting mad waiting to get on the plane through security at the airport."

He was 92.

frankieb

I'm creeped out how many people admired his tired arse.

obama'saracist

he's gone,a little less class on this planet,but we still have kim k and lilo and there disgusting families.such a sad day for the planet as a whole.
rip.andy and thank you so very much

bring back recent posts

...well..it's a shame he had to linger and suffer in his final weeks..I'm guessing a staph infection after surgery which he probably got being stuck in hospital....sucks! happens all the time with the elderly..

kim

May he rest in peace, that story about the lap top was funny, he will be missed, my thoughts go out to his family, friends, co-workers,and fans :-(....

beachgal

What an amazing man. RIP, Andy.

AlwaysOnTimeB

RIP Andy!!! Job well done!!

travcm

"weighs" Dumbass site writers

Denver

Andy passed a little more than a month after he retired. Bear Bryant died a month after retiring as coach of Bama. To do something you love for decades, then go right after you retire may say their calling was their life. The majority dont have that. We all know about Steve Jobs. He knew the time was coming and stayed as long as he could.

DW Wood

Incredible loss to journalism. He told it like it was and made no apologies for it. He will be missed.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

He never stopped questioning the absurd, whether anyone liked it or not. Even butting heads with TV studios executives. I loved watching him, & I'm glad he lead a ful, long life.

My condolences to his family.

Sonya in Tx

The only crotchety person I loved. RIP....

oh pleazzzzeee!!

I grew up watching andy >>>i have always had a soft spot in my heart for him. I will miss his wise and witty commentary. RIP sweet man, you will be missed !

EDITA ON STEROIDS

dang RIP loved watching you on CBS

FanFare

When I watched his final appearance on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago, I thought he stepped down due to illness. Over the years,his commentaries were insightful and hilarious. He was the cutest curmudgeon, yet a true delight.

norma desmond

It is not my business but I am curious as to what complication could come up from minor surgery, it sounds like someone was asleep at the wheel during the procedure. Very sad, just because he was 92 does not mean his death should be dismissed as a result of his age.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments