« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Frazier

Boxing Great Dies at 67

11/7/2011 8:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1107_joe_frazier_bn"Smokin" Joe Frazier died this evening after battling liver cancer ... according to the boxing legend's agent.

The former heavyweight champ was diagnosed just last month with liver cancer.

Darren Prince tells TMZ Frazier passed away at home in Philadelphia just over an hour ago. He was surrounded by his family.

Joe fought Muhammad Ali three times in the 70s ... defeating him in '71. Their last battle was the legendary "Thrilla in Manilla."

Joe Frazier was 67 years old.

1108_remembering_joe_frazier_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

O.Vinu

To know, when the sun has all but set in your time,
when you have travelled all the miles
you had to go
before it was your time to sleep,
that almost the whole canvas of your being...your existence,
as others would remember you,
As you would remember yourself;
would have been written...nay painted,
by what you had delivered
beyond the mists of time,
at the end of your own two fists.

That feeling,
That tantalising knowledge: of your very own ode to immortality;
a song so exhilarating, so liberating...yet with a prize so exacting, so unforgiving.
That's boxing.
That's what it means
To be a Prizefighter.

R.I.P Smokin' Joe...

The PMG

Not many can say they hold a win over Ali. Not only can Smokin' Joe say he beat him, he beat him in "The Fight of The Century". R.I.P. Champ

Elda999

truly, one of the best Boxers in History. rip bud.

Joe

Regarding Joe Frazier. Great fighter, yes. Nice guy, maybe. BUT, he had diabetes and still choose to drink and party like a 20 year old. I used to see him stumbling around the Philly club scene in the early 2000’s. In his late 50’s and dressed like a pimp, sick with diabetes, pounding hard liquor, slurring and trying to pick up young girls and it was pretty sad actually. I also think he was arrested for DUI not too long ago? I’m sure his death was hardly a “shock” to anyone who knew him in the last 20 years. Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble here.

Susan

Mohammed Ali may have called you names but in my heart, you were always the most kindness of man, I know that and I hope everyone else does. Ali, probably can't even rmember his name today, but I bet he recalls yours...REST IN PEACE, man of all men...

Holly

I had the pleasure of meeting Smokin' Joe and his family in 1979 at the Valley Forge Music Fair. They sat next to my friends and I at a Donny Osmond concert. He was so nice and down to earth and joked around pretending to scream for Donny when all the girls did. RIP

jay in princeton

I was shocked this morning. The rumble in the jungle in Zaire thrills in Manila hundreds of millions bet on these fights pre tmz. My dad died at 70 suddenly June 1st. Miss u dad. My dad was a huge fan of joe Ali and foreman. GBU man

jay in princeton

and i thought it was sooo funny this morning. ali was running after this bus in manhattan with smoking joe on it, screaming into the windshield frazier was ugly and broke. (which he was) and frazier looked horrified. i laughed all day. at that time it was shocking, now its called promotion. it was even pre papparazzi.

serena

i love u joe

us2fabulous

R.I.P Joe Frazier.My parents were a big fan!!!!

WILLIAM

Was called an uncle Tom , ugly, stupid , slow not classical by his most famous opponent, and for one night in 1971 he put that all to rest. He was a ' blue collar type man' who gave us all something to cheer about . His passing is a great loss to all of us . RIP to this Champion of a Man .

Dresia Vaughn

People, who still hve both of their parents, should cherish and spend more time with them. There are a lot of people who either have both parents or one parent missing in their lives now. I miss my father so much and though he passed away back in 2002, it still feels like just last year we lost him. The the family of Joe Frazier, many people thank your father for the many years of boxing he gave and for being such a wonderful and people person he was. I'm so sorry for your lost. I pray that your family are surrounded by loyal and everlasting family members, relative and friends who will be there and support you during this period in the lost of your father/husband unconditionally.

Dresia Vaughn

Michael

You were the best Joe. You kicked Ali's ass twice. All Futch had to do was let you stand up and Ali wasn't comming out. He quit, you didn't. You were the True Champ!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6