Brett Ratner

Quits Oscars

after Homophobic Slur

11/8/2011 4:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_brett_ratner_bn_tmz
Brett Ratner
claims he's officially "resigned" as producer of the 2012 Academy Awards ... after dropping the homophobic F-bomb at a media event Sunday night.

Ratner -- best known for directing the "Rush Hour" movies -- was at a fan Q&A session for "Tower Heist" Sunday when he told the crowd, "Rehearsal is for f*gs."

Now, he's penned an open letter ... apologizing for the "hurtful and stupid things I've said" ... and adding, "Having love in your heart doesn’t count for much if what comes out of your mouth is ugly and bigoted."

Ratner continued, "Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents."

Ratner says he's been in contact with GLAAD -- the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- and he promises he will work to "increase awareness of the important and troubling issues this episode has raised."

"I deeply regret my actions and I am determined to learn from this experience."

Tom Sherak -- the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences -- issued a statement saying, "[Brett] did the right thing for the Academy and for himself."

He added, "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

110811_ratner_still_2

Mee Mee

So is he gonna get black balled in Hollywood like Mel Gibson now? Come on - turnabout's fair play.

tessa

jeeze, have gays all lost their sense of humor? everyone gets poked and offended, get over yerselves.

krystyle

DUDE THE BEST WAY I GET BY SAYING THAT IS TO USE THE TERM CIGARETTE, IT MEANS "***" SO I'M LIKE DID THAT CIGARETTE JUST CUSS AT ME?" BAM EASY AS THAT! HEY & I'M BI SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT ****!!

MC

Brett Ratner is an A-Hole always has been. He needs to pull his head out of his own ass and come back down to Earth with the rest of us.

Cody

I am gay and I'm not offended. I dont always associate that word as some sort of personal attack on my sexuality. i.e. the word bitch... You have the derogatory phrase "hey youre a BITCH", you have the the general term "life aint nothin much bitches and ho's" then you have the technical definiation Bitch = Female dog. Maybe I'm a self hating gay person whos been brainwashed by society or something, but like I said, I'm not offended, I think people are way to senstative and I see no point in burning this guy at the stake. He said it, he apologized, leave him alone

Bryan

I'm gay and I could care less about what he said... People always blow this crap out of context.

L

The **** need to get over it.

Nick

Come on people so he said F** Who cares Im a gay and i used the word all the time i call my friends f** i call my self one. People need to take the big stick out of there ass.

longagain

Wasn't he just making a joke? I think he was referencing Spicolli's line at the end of Fast Times at Ridgemont high when the reporter asked him about 2 others surfers and he said "Those guys are ****!". Hi-larious... lighten up people. Especially the gays, they are so sensitive...

the_turk

Proof money cannot buy class or intelligence.

cindy

Here we go again with the politically correctness.

Jimmy

Really? So we can't say ***? This country is too PC. Give me a break. His meaning was clearly not derogatory. You **** need to get a life!

jeremy

what happened to the Ambiguously Gay duo why aren't they helping out

Vinny

What the heII? He didn't even say anything offensive. And I very much doubt he has any fear (See 'phobia') of the gays. A string disdain or dislike does not equate to a phobia. This term is loosely thrown around by idiots and it is not used correctly. And the way he used the word doesn't even remotely suggest he dislikes the gays.

Whatever. Not offended at all. Someone apologize to this man!

Yamiguru

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” Mahatma Gandhi This also includes words.