'Family Circus' Cartoonist Bil Keane

Dead at 89

11/9/2011 9:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1109_Bil_Keane_bn
Bil Keane, the man behind the iconic comic strip "Family Circus" died yesterday ... he was 89.

"Family Circus" has been in circulation for more than 50 years and is currently featured in roughly 1,500 newspapers.  The single panel strip centers around the antics of four young kids, Billy, Dolly, Jeffy, baby PJ and their parents.

Keane was working right up to the end ... his final "Family Circus" comic is dated October 26th.

1109_last_comic

The PMG

RIP Bill, your comic always gave me a good laugh in the mornings.

MyOpinionOnly

Awwww...I'm sad. :( I grew up racing to the Sunday paper to follow Billy through the house, claim the "Not Me"ghost did it (i use that on my own kids..lol) and just overall loved the family of this cartoon for his loving and humourous look at live with small children. RIP Mr. Keane. The Sunday comics will never be the same.

suuzinoc

Very sad. He was a really nice man. I actually ran into him at the Scottsdale Staples store and he was delighted that I recognized him. He drew me a picture of Billy and signed it.

Willie'sNelson

Guess little Billy's really gonna need ta ask that question now.

Mazor

Family Circus was horrible. The worst, least funny comic ever made. Mary Worth was funnier.

Bil Keane was a hack.

anon.

R.I.P.

moxie

Sorry to hear this...sounds like he had a good run, though.

jmk

Family Circus is my all time favorite comic. Even after I graduated to Doonesbury, I still read Family Circus every day. Thanks for the laughs, Bil!

w

Antonio I don't understand people like you, something is wrong with you, sounds to me that your a nut.

Rika

condolences to the family, I have enjoyed Family Circus for more years than I'll admit to

Chia

Rest in Peace. Such a funny cartoon and at times very touching.

stephanie

RIP...I used to love the script as a child.

moveover

It's a rare talent to be able to take a simple idea and express it in a way that so many people can relate to. Bill Keane was the "Norman Rockwell" of the cartoon page. Always enjoyed his work ... RIP.

Tom Brokaw

WELL THANK GOD THATS OVER! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @SNITCHLADY

Joey

Mr. Keane. Thank yo for the laughs your cartoon always made me smile Rest In Peace.If you see my Dad tell him I said hello, he was the person that introduced me to your cartoon

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments