Eddie Murphy

Bails Out of Oscars

After Brett Ratner Resigns

11/9/2011 11:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1109-eddie-murphy-oscar-brett-ratner-tmz-BN
Eddie Murphy is showing the ultimate solidarity with good friend and producing partner Brett Ratner by quitting the 2012 Oscars, which he had agreed to host.

Ratner bailed -- though he may have had no choice -- after making a homophobic remark last week at a screening of "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy.

Murphy says he wanted to do the show and never says squarely he's bailing because Ratner is gone, but his statement leaves little doubt:  "I was looking forward to being part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

Looks like the Motion Pictures Academy does better with old people -- they're generally a lot safer.

1109_oscars_hosts_footer_v2

Emilio

Bring back Rob Lowe and Snow White!

david

im so sick of this...if you dont agree with that nasty lifestyle some how your homophobic...its nasty they touch each others sh%#...some people have morals and dont want our kids around that nasty mess...i cant imagine a fart turning someone on and smelling like sex...gross

JoeFrancis

I was going to make a gay joke butt f..orget about it.

SantaFeJack

The times they are a changin'. The blacks, the developmentally disabled and the gays won't put up with your **** anymore. You'll have to find yourselves some new minority to put down...

Different Rules Apply

Disappointing. I was really looking forward to seeing some Eddie Murphy Oscar improv.

Different Rules Apply

ROBIN WILLIAMS - he is the only one worth watching compared to Eddie Murphy. Both geniuses.

Mehrdad

To replace Eddie, how about Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler?

TorontoMark

JOAN RIVERS....come on Academy no one deserves it MORE

tk

I don'*****ch the show anyway.

Dancing Bear

I have a feeling that Eddie's heart really wasn't into doing the Oscars anyway.

Karen S

WOW! Was lookibg forward to Eddie livening things up. Oh well, sure to be a snoozer for sure now, LOL.

Kaffee

Don't know what the other guy said, but respect Eddie for his loyalty, although it may cost him later in Hollywood--you know what a clique that place is--they don't like people who rock the boat.

Anyway, Academy Awards aren't relevant to me anymore. The critics LOVE any foreign film, while they quickly pan anything that appeals to the American public.

Kari

I don't think his career is in a position to turn down great opportunities. I would understand if his friend was unfairly let go, but he deserved to be let go. I guess it's for the best that they are both gone. The show will still be great!

K-Dog

IN A RELATED ISSUE:Did Ratner quit the Oscars because of the f#$ comment or was it because of his Howard Stern appearance?I heard it was somethin he said or did n't say about Olivia Munn and another comment about him f^@#in' Lindsay Lohan.I want TMZ to further investigate this.....

La

Big fool. That may have been his only chance at somewhat resurrecting his career. So what happens if the Ratner guy shows remorse and apologize? He puts himself in an akward position