Natalie Wood Death

Investigating Detective

Never Thought It Was Murder

11/19/2011 4:03 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1119_cbs_video
The detective who investigated the death of Natalie Wood back in 1981 says he would have arrested Robert Wagner himself if the evidence pointed in that direction, but instead he "never really got suspicious of a murder."

Duane Rasure, a retired detective sergeant for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau, tells CBS News, "If I have ever the slightest inkling there was a murder, something suspicious, I would have worked it. I did not cover for anybody and I wouldn't cover for anybody. I don't care about their celebrity status. They were people."

Rasure, whose interview airs on CBS tonight, says he believes Dennis Davern, the boat captain from that night, is not telling the full truth and that he is "trying to sell a book and make money off of it."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Truth

NICE TRY PO-PO... TYPICAL SENTENCES ONE SAYS 30 YRS LATER TO COVER FOR ONE'S OWN MISTAKES. YOU HEAR SH*T LIKE THIS FROM ALL THE OLD TIME LAWYERS AND PO-PO'S WHO FAILED TO SOLVE CASES PROPERLY. AMERICA'S MOST WANTED TV SHOW HAD TONS OF INTERVIEWS LIKE THIS EVERY FREAKIN WEEK. TRUTH!!

Ace

Wilford Brimley's brother?

Fred Farkel

Let's see:

A drunken peri-menopausal female???

Folks???

Give it up. Nothing about this situation will EVER make sense in 10 TRILLION years.

Kristina

I own and have read every single biography written about Natalie Wood, trying to figure out what really happened to her. I believe Dennis Davern 100% and the other witnesses (who were NEVER questioned by police) can back up his claims. I DO however have little respect for the guy considering it took him almost 30 years to come clean. Shame on him and shame on everyone else that denied Natalie the justice she deserves.

kitnplayn

Then maybe you should arrest him for with-holding evidence.

Willie'sNelson

Hunh I dont no bout that, seein the "justice" that LA dispenses every day to celebs. Thinkin that Robert Wagner bein protected woulda been a big priority, thats what I'm thinkin.

who dat

The fact is most cops aren't that bright. Take this guy for example, or the cop who gave the press conference the other day. They both probably needed a trail of breadcrumbs (even in their prime) to figure out how to get home.

The woman on the boat 40 yards away corroborates the story. She stated hearing a woman screaming, "help me i'm drowning". Guess Duane missed that part.

Anon

What do you expect him to say? "Yeah, Wagner seemed totally guilty but he's got a lot of connections so we stayed out of it"? Of course not. Thirty years later, he's going to say everything he did was right.

Fred Farkel

Look.

About 100 years, I was part of the Catalina gang. Back and forth. Back and forth. LA - Catalina. Blah blah. Same old thing... REALLY SERIOUSLY DRUNKEN PEOPLE WHO WERE BARELY CONSCIOUS WHILE BOATING. A complete recipe for disaster. My ex-wife used to get SO DRUNK she would make out with whoever the senior TV producer was in the group - right there in front of everyone. If I gave a carp (which I didn't) I would have punched her or him in the face and frankly... my ex would have someday been drowned at Catalina Island herself and yeah - guess who they would have come for??? Uh huh. Yep... ME.

Well.

The ex never died. But I will tell you this... SHE TRIED LIKE CRAZY TO CAUSE A PROBLEM AND ONLY BY BLIND DUMB LUCK THAT DUMB BROAD ALIVE TODAY.

My ex and that Catalina gang was nothing more and nothing less than the Kim Kardashian gang from the 1970s.

Dumb.

Stupid.

Not a lick of sense.

awaily

I wonder if he's a freemason?

char

still don't believe the captain. why now? 30 years later,why not 25 yrs, 20 yrs, 15 yrs, ago to finally come clean and tell the truth. heard that the captain was a drunk and and was drunk the night it happened. as far the lady that claims she heard screams of help me again why didn't she say something 30 years ago? even if the cops didn't talk to them at the time they still could have picked up the phone and called the cops to tell what they heard. its the 30 year anniverary of her death and they are trying to sell a book, 15 minutes, and money. i'm sorry if i believed i had witnessed a murder i wouldn't wait 30 years to talk to the cops.

Throwback kid

It would be easier to listen to him if he didn't have that ridiculous Cardinal***** on, does this old man think he is still playing little league?

ManiacalZebra

After listening to the interview of the captain on the Today show, I agree with the cop. His evasiveness made me think he was just trying to sell his book.

Debbie

No I don't believe Robert Wagner killed his wife but as soon as he found she was gone with the dinghy he should have called someone at shore to see if the dinghy was at least there. And I don't believe there is a hotel there so where would she stay? He should have called someone to see at least is she ok. She had been drinking. It's hard all by yourself to get into a dinghy in the best conditions. This was night, rough waters. He simply didn't care if she lived or died so he is responsible. Just like if a person left a child alone and if you do you're negligent. We are talking about life and death conditions. You can't play with water. The best swimmer can die and where that boat was is very far from shore. You don't wonder for hours if the person made it safe to shore or not.

niles

Catch any episode of Cold Case Files, and it almost always goes back to a lazy, incompetent or bumbling police "detective". I've seen cases where they couldn't even bother to check fingerprints - duh! If this "accident" had happened today, hopefully we would have some answers instead of this idiot rambling on about not suspecting murder.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments