« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Andre the Giant

Family Speaks Out Over

Jason Segel's 'SNL' Impression

11/21/2011 2:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jason Segel as Andre the Giant
Andre the Giant
's family was watching when Jason Segel impersonated the late wrestler on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend ... AND THEY LOVED IT!!

Segel starred in a sketch called, "Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor" -- in which he conjures up the legend's voice PERFECTLY while discussing the pros and cons of mint chip.

Now, TMZ has spoken with a rep for Andre's estate ... who tells us, "Jason Segel nails this impression and demonstrates with good humor that Andre's legacy continues to be relevant and has a big impact on the entertainment industry."

As for Andre's REAL favorite ice cream flavor -- we're lookin' into it ... seriously.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

jenna

Andre was cool-the 8th wonder of the world-he was large and lived large-what a great life he lived.

stupid as usual

A-Rose

Ahhh..."The Gentle GianT"! It was so nice to see him remembered again. I'm really happy his family enjoyed it, and I'm sure he would have as well.

J

There is SNL for you. Twenty years out of date. The show has not been funny since about 1981 or 82. I tried it again a few years ago. They had a skit about the film "Soylent Green." 30 years out of date, hard to beat that for being out of touch.

Sue

He looks like an over-sized Richard Simmons !!!!

Truth

YAAAAWN, THIS IS A RIDICULOUS NON-STORY. HARVEY IS DESPERATE TO GET ANY SH*T THAT STICKS TO WALL PAPER AS STORIES. LOSING ADVERTISERS ARE WE??? TRUTH!!

Prince Von A-Hole

TMZ attempting to stir up trouble as usual. Like the class tattle tale.

stu

the skit w/ paul rodd got me wet! :p

R

Jason did Andre this morning on Live with Kelly. It was very good.

flora68

I thought it was good- not at all disrespectful. I especially loved the sight of the relatively TINY ice cream cone finally delivered to his gigantic hand. RIP big man.

Al

I love how people complain about the relevancy of this when they probably would bat an eyelash if the guy had impersonated Elvis, who last I looked is dead nearly 35 years. I'm happy the family liked the impersonation - I'm sure TMZ might have had a jucier story if they'd condemned SNL over this. Instead, they showed class, much like the original Andre did.

Whatever

It was probably the sweetest thing of the night and spot on perfect. It reminded me of the story of his life and a special I saw a few years ago. He had a very, very rough life and was a gentle character. Jason nailed it and I felt it was very respectful and sweet. Andre WAS cool! RIP.

Azzkicker

I loved Andre in "The Princess Bride"; he epitomized the term "gentle giant". Such a sweet guy; it was really sad when he left us...

JoeyBing

Nice rip-off of the MadTV skit with Pacino and DeNiro searching for ice cream flavors

VictoriaGirl

It was stupid and not funny, just like all the skits on that show nowadays. They REALLY need to fire Seth Meyers as the (one and only) head writer because he's just NOT funny. Make him go back to just acting on the show.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments