T.I.

Some Gays are 'Not American'

11/27/2011 6:42 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1126_ti_tmz
T.I. thinks gays need to get over themselves ... at least the ones who try and muzzle people from telling harmless jokes.

T.I. was discussing gay rights with Vibe magazine -- an issue he says he supports -- and then mentioned Tracy Morgan's controversial comments earlier this year:

"Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy say during a stand-up was, 'C'mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a d**k, you can take a joke.' [Cracks up laughing.] That s**t was funny to me. And it’s kind of true."

Then T.I. unloaded ... talking about oversensitivity in the gay community, which he believes betrays the First Amendment which guarantees freedom of speech.

"They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace."

So we ask ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

BananaHammock

I hate to say it but I agree. They need to lighten up and stop using every quote or joke as an opportunity to cry that they are being persecuted or bashed.

emme

This is my problem with this comment. Would he have said the same thing about the KKK? I think not.

Cromulent

Of course TI is right - on both counts. Tracy's line was d*mn funny.

brian

I don't agree. Switch that statement with something else, ie. biracial marriage - If you’re in an interracial marriage you should have the right to be in an interracial marriage in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace." Not true. Wrong is wrong. Maybe people are overly sensitive to certain things, but don't tell me you have the right to bash other people for the choices they make.

Celeb Gossip Addict

Of course he's right. Comedians say so many things that would be considered offensive by one group or another. But say anything about gay people and you're insensitive and out of line. I grew up with gay friends that I love dearly and I hope they never have to take heat because of the actions of these gay activists who whine about every percieved slight. Call someone a b*tch and countless other names and it's ok, but call them the f word that ends with g and all hell breaks looks.

jmob

Im gay, and I think sometimes we can be oversensitive. I dont personally care about people making jokes, but sometimes people go too far.. I don't think who I sleep with is anybody's business. Im a big fan of TI, but I don't think he would like it if people always made jokes of him being a jailbird or an animal in a cage. When you go to the zoo, where do they keep the wild animals---IN CAGES.

Jason

Hey TI, you are right people should quit being oversensitive. Whats long black and smelly? the unemployment line, the food stamp line, the free clinic line, etc.

SistahSoul

T.I. needs to remember his own words the next time someone makes a joke about blacks...

tessa

right on. gays don't want equality, they want special rights, unique to the gay community.

static

He makes a good point but I wonder if he would have defended a white comedian in the same situation?

Jeff

Its not OK to deny my civil rights, and promoting homophobia through gay bashing does that... it's all negative press for us gays. Blacks have tried to ban the word N**ger. So he needs to get over himself. 'snap'

carla

It's true. Now a days people say bad things about whites and it's ok. Just go to gossip, she is the most racist blogger around. No one says or does anything. But gay jokes are off limits? Let's stop with the racist ok comments on whites then. Make it all be wrong then, don't pick and choose.

carla

I meant bossip it's a black gossip site extremely racist. Needs to be shut down.

Unimpressed

Only they don't get to "be gay in peace" do they...
They get murdered, beaten, spit on, and degraded.
The fact that you (T.I.) would try and give those with hate a door into accepted society shows me that you not only need a much better understanding of what they go through, but that you need to learn how to act with some class if you are attempting to raise a child that will act with dignity and wisdom.

carla

I meant bossip it's a black gossip site and extremely racist. Needs to be shut down.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments