Funk Group War

PISSED at Hall Of Fame Snub --

Beasties Ain't On Our Level!

12/8/2011 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Howard Scott from the band War
The guys from War are FUMING after being snubbed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week -- telling TMZ the fact the Beastie Boys got in before them is some serious salt in the wound.

TMZ spoke with Howard Scott -- vocalist and a founding member of War -- who tells us he’s “shocked” the rappers were inducted before his band, saying, “We were cranking out gold records when they were still in diapers.”

Scott adds, "How could the Beastie Boys get in before us when they sampled War's music on their first album?! I'll eat their platinum records!"

The singer had been pretty hopeful his group would finally be inducted into the HOF this year ... and  says the disappointing news "felt like I was kicked in the back of my britches."

For the record -- War was founded back in 1969 ... and DOMINATED music with hits like Cisco Kid, Why Can't We Be Friends, Slippin' Into Darkness ... and of course, LOW RIDER!!!

Jackie

OFC...I have seen a bunch of stupid bands being nominated for nothing. They should be happy that they are being nominated.

Cujeaux

Now they'll never make it for thinking they're better than the Beasties. Their music sucked and was way overplayed.

Blue Lake

WAR is the best band still! Much better than those B Boys. I've never liked the Hall of Fame. They always blow it.

Azzkicker

Dear members of the group WAR:

Shut the f*ck up. Neither you nor the beastie boys deserve to be even considered for the ROCK 'N ROLL hall of fame, because neither of you are rock 'n roll acts. You are a funk act; the beasties are a rap act. So, since you wouldn't know a rock song if it bit you on the ass, please SHUT THE F*CK UP!

Love & Kisses,
All Rock/Metal Fans Worldwide

-------------------------------------------------

This stupidity has got to stop. Unfortunately, the idiots who vote on the RNRHOF are completely clueless; they've voted in non-rock acts like ABBA & Madonna, when rock/metal legends like Rush, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. are not even considered to be on the ballot. TMZ, do the world a favor & post a list of the morons who vote for the RNRHOF so we actual rock fans (yes, rock fans; not rap, not funk, not pop) can make ourselves known to these stupid idiots...

Lori

The Rock and Rock Hall of Fame, like everything else, is all about politics. There are plenty of bands out there who deserve to be in that never will be. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

Dino the Dinosaur

Really, I agree. Beastie boys faddish.

YouDontSay

Agree with Blue Lake...War is multi talented group and these awards shows are idiots. Remember when Jethro Tull won as best heavy metal? That was the day I stopped watching and caring.

CarolynAB

Howard Scott is absolutely correct. War stands head and shoulders above the Beastie Boys.
The R&R HofFame is tone deaf and craven to fads and trends.
The R&R HofFame has long inducted acts and performers who are not rock and roll. It is a de facto popular music museum for mostly American and British popular artists. Inductees have included folk performers, like Pete Seeger, as well.
It is not just about rock and roll (which, btw, is closer to Little Richard than it is to REO Speedwagon).

Kathy

The rock and roll hall of fame is a joke. One of the great groyps of the 60s', The Association, was never nominated.

JJ

The Beastie Boys suck!

They never really laerned how to make music but just a bunch of BS NOISE!

It's a good thing that they arrived on the scene when their so called music was "different" otherwise they'd NEVER sell records. They SUCK.

BB not bb

This means war. Anyway, I thought Ton-Loc wrote that song. I guess these guys are from so far back, no one remembers them to induct them. I don't think they had as big of a cultural impact as the Beastie Boys. Yeah the BB did use a lot of samples, but they sort of made a big cultural impact with them.

Isn't the R&R Hall of Fame in like Cleveland, oH? What do they know out there anyway? It isn't like NYC or LA or something. It is just a place to draw tourists to a dead industrial city.

campy

Obviously this is a black and white thing. The Beastie Boys don't hold a candle, hell...even a match compared to WAR's body of work and hits. In addition, WAR's music is also very much politically and socially relevant. "you got to fight for your right to party?" Please kids. All the dope you've taken I'd be surprised if you can still get it up. I'd feel ashamed if I were you.

Andrea

I agree with WAR. Beastie Boys???? Makes no sense...I enjoy the Beastie Boys too, but WAR, I have been listening to since I was a small child...they deserve it! Who the heck is making these decisions? Disappointed...

stevebeagle

gotta agree with the man..nothing against the beasties, but the Hall is a joke..some of the inductees make me scratch my head, some of the bands & individuals who really had an impact & dont even get a look disgusts me.

DirtySouth

I thought some of the points of rock and roll were to rebel against the mainstream and make your own way when you weren't accepted. Surprising that many acts that embodied these values during their heyday either jump for joy and trip over themselves to attend the ceremony when they're inducted or cry when they're not.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments