Matisyahu

I Shaved My Big

Jewish Beard

12/13/2011 8:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Matisyahu without beardOrthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems.

Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise."

We're reaching out to Matisyahu for comment -- we'll fill you in on the beard drama as it unfolds.

update_bar

10:38 AM PST -- Matisyahu has posted a blog, explaining his decision to chop his face warmer ... in which he writes, "No more Chassidic reggae superstar."

He adds, "Sorry folks, all you get is me ... no alias.  When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life."

"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules -- lots of them -- or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."

Matisyahu

Mimi

He's skin and bones! Now his mother with REALLY stuff him with latkes. MMMM Latkes.

123456

He looks like he just got out of a concentration camp

David Lazzar

His true fans are into his music, not his beard & side locks(Peyos. But let me make myself clear;
"Matisyahu without a beard....is like a woman with a beard."

tellmeaboutit

TMZ, seriously, where do you find these people??

idit

Probably he is going through a bad time
ימי הולדת

Melissa

Please grow your beard back.....you are one of the few people I have trusted in my growth in religiosity.....I saw you you at Chabad house in Buffalo and was so comforted in your non-conformist ways. Like I could be Jewish and still be me.....

Reuven

The article says that Matisyahu used a razor blade. He most probably used an electric shaver, as opposed to a razor blade. I say this because Jewish law permits using an electric shaver but forbids using a razor blade.

KDUBBLL

The so-called jews or in this case orthodox jews fashion their beard and hair to resemble the god they worship baphomet(satan), they also wear all black or the black robe of saturn/satan.

Liamarie

"Jerusalem" is a song that gets stuck in my head for days. I'm glad Matt is doing what he feels he needs to do. Spirituality can be fluid and just because he chooses not to follow Hassidism doesn't make him any less Jewish.

Dinah Kudatsky

Good for Matisyahu, if shaving his beard allows him to feel some more spiritual "elbow room". Beards may grow if you don't cut them, but the spirit grows in very different ways. It's often transcendent to realize that something "necessary" is, in fact, expendable. Sometimes the thing which was "necessary" is, in fact, a prison, an obstacle to being present in the world.

Last year, a group of atheists took out some ads on municipal buses and billboards in Ft. Worth and elsewhere with the following : "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake." Not surprisingly, there were reactions: vandalism to the billboards and posters, an attempted bus boycott, the demand for the city to ban all religious ads, threats, etc.

Religions are social constructs of shared (but originally private) beliefs. I think beliefs don't become religions until they are institutionalized. I'm Jewish, but I ask myself what that means. I'm not all that happy with most of these available institutions, including my own, since they tend to corral people into groupthink, which can stifle the reaching inward/outward for new epiphanies. And there's that middleman (the priest, the Pope, the Rebbe, the Imam) who advises, endorses, interprets, condemns, instructs. They stand between you and the direct experience of [God? the cosmos? nature? the planet? human potential?]. Personally, I'm happy to pray to Big Mom on Mondays, worship a tree on Tuesdays, and look for the best in people on Wednesdays. Don't ask me about the weekend.

When we were fleeing Egypt, some of us were afraid, and wanted to go back to the the safety of the known world, which was enslavement. But it took courage to "leave Egypt" for the unknown. It takes courage every moment when we choose to hack out a new path into the wilderness, instead of walking the safe and well-trod path of custom and tradition.

I am sure that God loved Matisyahu when he was Matthew, and when he was hairless. God loves him still. And so, why shouldn't we appreciate Matisyahu's willingness to "leave Egypt" in this way?

There is no generic GPS system for finding one's own unique spiritual path.

Dinah Kudatsky

There is no generic GPS system for finding one's own unique spiritual path.

James

You guys are so stupid. You moan just because someone who's fairly known has an article written about him, instead of some mainstream celebrity. I saw the same kind of thing on a Sublime With Rome article posted on TMZ a while back. Go back to having your favourite musicians and actors dictated to you, you brainless morons.

Rose

Too bad he can't give his sons their foreskins back...maybe he should have thought a bit harder before imposing his short-lived religious affiliation on their bodies...he's an idiot.

Lola

ALOT of people know who Matisyahu is he is a great inspiration to many, He is amazing and I personally can't wait for his new stuff to come later this yr....I hope he grows the beard back kinda creepy seeing him without it lol =P

juztin

Idiots. Have you ever heard this mofo spit? He is a hell of a lyricist.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments