Country Star Rodney Atkins

Arrested for Trying to Smother

Wife with a Pillow

12/15/2011 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rodney Atkins Mug shot
Country superstar Rodney Atkins was arrested last month in Tennessee for domestic assault after allegedly trying to smother his wife with a pillow -- but TMZ has learned Rodney has since filed for divorce, and insists his wife made up the whole thing.

According to court docs filed in Williamson County, Rodney's wife Tammy Atkins called 911 at 7:47 AM on November 21 -- claiming the two had been arguing throughout the night in their home ... when Rodney turned violent.

Tammy told police Rodney tried to smother her with a pillow ... and later grabbed her by the face and threw her down the hallway.

According to cops, Tammy insisted the platinum-selling singer "had been drinking alcohol all night and was intoxicated."

What's worse -- Tammy claims the entire assault took place in front of the couple's 10-year-old son.

Rodney was hauled to a nearby jail -- where he was booked and released on $2,500 bail.

But Rodney says his wife is straight up lying -- and his lawyer is calling the incident nothing more than an "unfortunate verbal dispute."

In a statement released to TMZ ... Rodney's lawyer says, "When Mr. Atkins realized their child was in hearing range of the argument his first priority became getting out of the earshot of the child."

The statement continues, "Mr. Atkins realized he would have no recourse but to file a complaint for divorce. He has exercised substantial parenting time with the parties son and he will continue to do so while the divorce is pending."

"Mr. Atkins wants to thank his fans for standing by him as he is confident the truth will prevail."

hung and dashing

He as just seen on the Washington Tree Lighting Ceremony television special with Carson Daley and President Obama. He sang OFF KEY - it was a horrendous performance. 'Never even heard of him before. But then, we never heard of any of the singers other than Kermit and Santa.

Storm

The jackhole failed to leave his wife breathless. Bet that's the story of his life when it comes to women.

Karen Larsen

Awwwwwww, good ol' ALCOHOL, the LEGAL DRUG that makes you act like a CRAZY FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should be outlawed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slurpee

Maybe now I wont hear his annoying, lazy, Tim McGraw lite style singing on the radio.....

kami

Oh dont blame the wife, I mean, there is two sides to the story people...any parent who does this infront of a child should lose all rights to that kid until both parents get help. I for one who have seen Rodney inconcert will NEVER see him again, you never put your hands on a woman, no matter what and you dont do that crap in from of a kid, they didnt take him to jail for nothing, they dont just go on the word of the wife people,

cb

He wanted to get out of ear shot because he didn't want a ten year old witness.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Where do I send money for his defense?

Anaheim Al

Sounds like a country song "I tried to kill her...with a pillar."

Eccomo

Where is the Bruises on her? Bet there aren't any...

loran

Totally believable! I worked for him for a year on the road and he is a total hot head. Of course there is the fact that she is a total bee-otch! Both are jacked up!

Billy Bob

*****e, smothering? Who hasn't thought about it? Ok so I have a question, "When is it ok to hit a woman"?

chriswx

I am totally shocked by this story especially since Rodney Atkins sings the hit song "Honesty" which is a touching song about a couple going through a divorce. After hearing Mr. Atkins sing that song, I was certain he would be one man who would never file for divorce. Kind of sad.

Chris Jackson

I am so shocked at this story. Rodney Atkin's sings the song titled "Honesty". It is a very touching song about a couple going through a divorce. I never thought he would be getting a divorce after writing that song.

cStar

This is a terrible story. So sad. Rodney Atkins is one of my favorite country singers. I loved his song "I've been watching you" about a little boy imitating his daddy. Our kids are the same age, and when he first heard it, my son was tickled at the part about being in the carseat, eating a happy meal -- which was what he was doing at that time. Hope the family can find a way to mend through and after this.

billy

a bunch of idiots leaving these comments all it is is hollywood drama i dont think that he did it cause women are freakin crazy they lie alot so and so what if he did it he is my favorite singer and i will continue to listen to his music so F**k u people

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments