George Michael

Pneumonia Nearly Killed Me

'The Worst Month of My Life'

12/23/2011 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1223_george_michael_month_embed
George Michael just showed his face for the first time since being rushed to a Vienna hospital last month with a serious case of pneumonia -- telling reporters, the illness nearly killed him.

George spoke to reporters outside his London home this morning -- claiming, doctors spent "three weeks basically keeping me alive ... It was by far, the worst month of my life."

George choked up, insinuating he had been in a coma during his time in the ICU -- "I spent the last ten days since I woke up literally thanking people for saving my life."

GM was forced to cancel his European tour over the illness -- but promises to play several concerts to make up for it ... including a private concert just for the docs who saved his life.

Digger

How could they have let him live?

northern gypsy

dare i say...is his immune system finally breaking down ???
perhaps a "walk on the dark side" has smarten him up...
lady luck showed some mercy...see you in 2012 !!!

Throwback kid

I hope he is still not trolling bathrooms in parks and having his salad tossed by random strangers, it is unsafe and very unsanitary, you have no idea if the stange guy he was with even wiped himself? very self destructive behavior George

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

What are you trying to say, TMZ? Why do you write, "claiming" and "insinuating" like you're suggesting something?

sean

As someone who nearly died from severe pneumonia 15 years ago, I can tell you that it's just about the most horrific thing you can experience. And at times, crazy as it sounds, you don't actually mind the thought of death, just because it will take you away from the hell you're experiencing. I wish you well, George, and know how hard you had to fight to still be with us. Merry Christmas.

rt1

Pnuemonia......alot of hiv and aids patients die of pnuemonia........makes me wonder how far along you are George. You just HIV or Full Blown......Great Voice, tons of talent wasting away smoking that lettuce...Grow Up George and get your music career where is should be. You have too much talent to piss it away.

Derek

Love George Michael! What a classy and humble man. Don't you wish all superstars were this humble and down-to-earth?

There's a problem here

George, with the loose lifestyle you live or lived, I do hope you are doing well. However two words keep coming to mind OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTION.

Selebraties Suck

I thought it was Burt Reynolds.

VictoriaGirl

Its amazing that in this day and age something like pneumonia can still kill a person. By this I mean a long time ago things like influenza and pneumonia could kill you, whereas nowadays people dont die of the flu.

Lynn

Sounds like George has got AIDS. Very sad I wish him well.

LittleJoe

Somehow sad and ironic:
20 years ago 11-24-1991 Freddie Mercury died of aids related pneumonia.
The same day 20 years later George Michael is in icu escaping death =>pneumonia.

Jody

A 48 year old man with a healthy immune system should not be in the hospital for nearly a month with pneumonia. I found it very telling that he said he didn't want to get into all the details because he wanted to protect his family.

Sounds just like what was said about every other AIDS celebrity that died.

Ron

I heard he choked on a penis....

jay in princeton

you all are so cruel. the burt reynolds, and they let him live, and gay jokes, i admit i laughed out loud, so clever but cruel. i watched this video and cried for him, all you fools on this post, including this one, are going were george is going before us. i hope he lives another 30 years. dont you? if you dont, then that just makes me sad, for the human condition? why? jealous? cos he can sing good? what have you done that is so noble peanut gallery? the guy is a talented star, who had the real guts to aim high, and yes, messed up lifestyle. everyone deserves life, and just maybe a hope for a 2nd chance at good health. wouldnt you want the same chance you want to deny george michael? ok, getting off my high horse. peace, out, bird

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments