Matisyahu

Accused of Kicking Woman

in the Face at Concert

12/23/2011 10:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1223_matisyahu_tmz_BNFormerly bearded Jewish rapper Matisyahu allegedly booted a female photojournalist in the face at a concert in Brooklyn this week ... all because he felt the flash was "distracting."

It all went down Wednesday night -- when a photog named Rebecca Smyne tweeted, "I was just attacked by mAtisyahu calling cops pressing charges. Wtf! He kicked me in face and broke my camera!!!!!"

A short time later, Smyne went back to Twitter and explained ... "I'm ok; after cops showed, matisyahu's manager, who witnessed the incident, gave me a fat stack of cash to cover damages. Happy hanukkah!"

After the show Matisyahu, posted a tweet to Rebecca ... saying, "sorry about last night.I totally snapped.I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd."

He continued, "being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is."

Rebecca claims she barely used a flash that night -- and calls BS on Matisyahu's "it wasn't a kick" defense ... saying, "He stepped on my face on purpose ... it hurt."

update_bar
Matisyahu released a statement shortly after the incident -- saying, “I regret what transpired when I tried to remove the camera from the photographer’s hands last night ... I reacted impulsively out of frustration and for that I apologize.”

nomer

Why are so many "entertainers" (and I use that term loosely)--so filled with rage? They all think they are above the law. It's sickening.

Fan

Matisyahu - if you can't show skill, lash out. Is that how it is? Must be frustrating to have no talent.

o rly

Good to see that a "stack of cash" was all that was needed to make you happy; stay classy and don't forget your morals Rebecca Smyne.

JP

It sounds like she was overstepping her bounds and thought she could get away with it because it was a concert and she is a chick who obviously thought the rules didn't apply to her. I believe him when he said he was just stepping into the crowd and that it wasn't a kick in the face as she suggests. Why would he intentionally kick someone in the face on stage? She sounds like a trouble maker who was doing something she shouldn't, and his reaction bruised her ego...

Wendy

All these parasites with their intrusive cameras deserve a kick in the face, they should all be banished from the earth forever, they are disgusting and nasty!

Brandon

Some photographers really deserve to get kicked in the face or worse. TMZ you should know this.

chris

umm, flashes are never allowed in concerts for photogs. this was Rebecca Smyne's first concert but im sure she will learn the number one rule, no flashes =)

fresera

I wonder if he would've kicked a man in the face, had the photog been a man. The ol' "it wasn't a kick, but stepping on the crowd" defense is laughable. He's a misogynist and there is no apology for that.

cori

link to the actual article:

also, this woman repeatedly used her flash in his face...that doesn't warrant a kick to the face, but overall she and he should know better...dissappointing on both parts.

swag

MATISYAHU A G

Max Smart

If she's so convinced he kicked her in face she SHOULD have him charged with assault and duly punished, not except a cash bribe from the manager. Can't have it both ways.

ray

good move bitch, sell out for the cash

Superman

WHO?

AntiSocialForum.com

What's America coming to when a famous rich dude can't kick a women in the face anymore without all the drama?

Mamdy

-step, whatever you hurt a woman..nice tp see even Jewish ra
Pers are down with hurting woman. Viva La Americas entertainment. Cant WAIT to see this next generation. Bunch of POS spoileda*s jerks.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments