'Fresh Prince' Star

RIPS WILL SMITH

I'll Never Reunite w/ that 'A**hole'

12/27/2011 6:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aunt Viv on Fresh Prince of Bel Air
The woman who played the original Aunt Viv on "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" says there's a damn good reason she wasn't at a recent reunion dinner with the rest of the Banks family -- she HATES Will Smith.

15 years after the show went off the air ... Janet Hubert tells TMZ, she's still upset with the way she was fired from the show ... and blames the whole thing on Smith himself.

"There will never be a reunion ... as I will never do anything with an a**hole like Will Smith," Hubert said.

1227_fresh_prince_facebook_dateShe adds, "He is still an egomaniac and has not grown up. This constant reunion thing will never ever happen in my lifetime unless there is an apology, which he doesn't know the word."

Hubert has said in the past she believes Smith is to blame for her departure in the middle of the show's run -- claiming he turned on her because she wouldn't kiss his butt.

But Smith refuted the claims after Hubert left the show in 1993 -- telling an Atlanta radio station Hubert simply had a bad attitude which played a major role in her demise.

Smith told the radio station, "[Hubert] said once, 'I've been in the business for 10 years and this snotty-nosed punk comes along and gets a show.' No matter what, to her I'm just the AntiChrist."

We called Smith for comment -- so far, no response.

Cooley

Is this for real? Janet Hubert is an incredible actress and I'm shocked that she would hold such a grudge and use this language.

#Sad.

BB not bb

I used to like when he was a rapper. The Fresh Prince was kind of corny and tacky. I only watched it occaionally out of boredom. Most of his movies don't interest me, I slept through Independance Day. I did like the movie about the homeless stockbroker though. Maybe he should do more things from the heart and stop trying to act so Hollywood.

I do think they made him into a bigger celebrity than he really was. I can see the lady's point. I guess whe would be mad if she was kicked off the show, but we don't really have the details as to exactly what happened.

Some bosses are like that, they expect homage insteade of hard work and dedication. I wouldn't be happy with a boss like that either.

level headed

Let it go. Bury the hatchett. Anger and bitterness do not age well.

fran

I have never heard of anything negative regarding Will Smith, other than from this lady..if she was the big star her ego thinks she is , why is Will the one to go onto be the highest paid star in Hollywood and one of the most endearing and popular... I heard nothing of this woman before or after fresh prince, hmmm..she even looks like a bitter person, I liked the newer aunt much better. Will was the star of the show, he had a bit of ego being young, so what,she wanted the show to revolve around her, so who had the bigger ego.

suuzie

Sounds like Will was right, her attitude sucks.

Dom The Mover

Janet who?

nicaw

He's admitted that he had ego issues during that time. Unfortunately, it seems she's the one with the issues and holding on to them. Just as the show moved on without her, a reunion show could too. I loved her talent but her response will only keep her from not working.

Sincerity

Truth: 5 hours ago

Actually according to the E True Hollywood story when contract renegotiations came up they cut her to 13 episodes and she didn't get a raise. She responded by filing a lawsuit against NBC and Will Smith who was a producer on the show by then. After turning down two revised contracts she wanted to take the third but NBC said "that ship has sailed". The lawsuit was eventually dismissed.
According to her she said there was a lot of tension on her part due to her pregnancy, emotions weight gain and thus she wasn't the easiest person to get along with on tapings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for "CONFIRMING" my much earlier posting!!! As I posted earlier, Ms. Hubert created her own "HARDSHIPS" and the show's producers weren't going to hold up production to "APPEASE" a "MUCH LESS" significant player. She wasn't the "STAR" and she should have known better!!!

Areader

There's Janet Hubert's side of the story and Will Smith's side of the story and in between lies the truth!

debbie

I'm sure Will is not losing any sleep because she (what's her name again? What has she done (besides brief stint on Fresh Prince) is mad at him. She overplayed her hand and overestimated her importance on the show. Frankly if noone had mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed she was missing from the reunion pic.

Debi

I didnt like her as the mom anyway. I liked the second mom because she was sweet. This biatch had a snooty attitude, Will was right, and you could see it. Nobody needs her to come to the reunion, they have the second mom & she really was the BEST mom! And now the only mom. Who is Janet Hubert anyway? I have seen Daphne Maxwell Reid in many shows & movies & I like her a lot. Poor bitter Janet had to give up her swanky home, nannies & maids & make her husband get a job, awwwe woe is me. TOO BAD! It was Will's show so he got to make the rules. If you couldnt follow them then too bad and you were replaced. That's Hollywood! Again, TOO BAD!!! Love ya Will & Daphne!

meena

This feud/grudge has been well-known for years. She made the same allegations about Will right after she was let go from the show. Many shows have worked pregnancies in- not showing the character in a full-length body shot- so I'm doubting that was the main reason behind her being let go. She was the better Vivian by far. She had spice!

mochaview

Seems that everyone who worked on that show was never able to advance after that because once Will saw he was being outshined, he sabotaged every last one of them. He even undermined DJ Jazzy Jeff once he got famous. Most on here don't seem to remember it was "DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince". All of the other actors NEVER progressed once they became popular unlike other shows where a few actors go on to do other things. Will intentionally strangled their careers from behind the scenes. Over time Will, Black folks will see through you and you know this. the original Aunt Viv is real and will tell it like it is. You can't hide everything, you're not the most talented actor out there but you're a good rapper from the days when rappers had a bit more to say to some real music and you could actually understand them. But make no mistake will, you can hide from the younger ones who don't know you but the real folks, your folks, we see right...through...you.

the real diva

i never liked her as the mom on the show. she seemed to be all attitude. i guess she wasn't just acting. judging by the way now she probaly had this same attitude back then. like she is the star of the show.. would not surprise me if she was really fired for her attitude...the second aunt was better on the show. it's nice to see will smith getting together with the rest of the cast. he seems like a great guy.. while janet hubert always came across as a b*tch.

Greygoose125

The show was called: "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" not the Aunt Viv show! It is sad that after all of these years - Ms. Hubert-Whitten is still salty about her termination. If she would have just played her part and accepted the fact that Will Smith was the STAR of the show - she would not have screwed herself out of a job.