Daniel Radcliffe

Lana Del Rey Wasn't THAT Bad

on 'Saturday Night Live'

1/17/2012 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0116-daniel_lana_BN_01
Daniel Radcliffe is coming to the defense of the singer he introduced on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend ... sorta.

Radcliffe was at the Bafta nominations ... when he was asked about Lana Del Rey -- who's been TRASHED by music critics and people with ears alike who suffered through her baffling performance on the show (below).

Radcliffe responded, "It was unfortunate that people seemed to turn on her so quickly."

He added, "I also think people are making it about things other than the performance. If you read what people are saying about her online, it's all about her past and her family and stuff that's nobody else's business."

Radcliffe concluded, "I don't think it warranted anywhere near that reaction."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

cindy

I saw her on SNL and.....sorry to say, but, she DID suck.

your own luck

Daniel can defend her all he wants but she was incredibly awful. Not only was she completely off key, she looked like she had never been on a stage before and had almost non-existent vocal range.

lola

I usually like singer/songwriter type of music but that SNL performance made me feel uncomfortable. I honestly thought she was terrible. I was hoping to like her but that was just not the case

Phreaky

I really don't understand the controversy - they've had WAYYY worse musical acts on that show, and her music was different. So why the hate?
I thought Regina Spektor or whatever her last name is, was the most horrible singer/musician I had ever seen in my life, and everyone else seemed to love her.
People are weird.

TheMrs

I joined just to post here. Not only did we watch from home, I have close family who were in the live audience. It was bad. Really bad. I know absolutely nothing about her past/family, I just know that was an insanely awful performance. I really wonder if she wasn't in some kind of altered state.

Robert

Wow a celebrity who isn't a douchebag

Good on you Daniel

HH

I have never missed an episode of SNL, since the beginning.... I defended it through the bad years because there was always some good.... but this year really sucks. I started watching both of this girl's song... and couldn't grab the remote fast enough.... thank heavens for 30 second skip. The only skit I watched through was the news, and I even had to skip the Fred Armisen skit during the news.

judi

O M G!! SHE WAS AWFUL!! I HAD TO FAST FORWARD THRU IT...!!!

Adam

What does he know his career is over anyway maybe if he is smart with his Potter money he won't be working at burger king 30 years from now lol

Blue

This girl is horrible. Zero talent. Its sad music labels are spending money on her, when there are so many talanted artist out there.

elilan

The backlash was principally about her dreadful singing and her vapid, horrible songs. The fact that her publicist or Innerscope have propped her up to be the "next big thing" and have labeled her the "Gangster Nancy SInatra" just made the whole steaming pile more insufferable. Of course, one can also pick on her enhanced lips, zombie-like stage presence, bizarre name change, debutante past that wreaks of daddy's money trying to pass itself off as street cred or attempts at using the word "wit" in a song to pass as as "gangsta" -- but that's just low-hanging fruit. Her new tagline should be "Lana Del Ray -- a throwback to an earlier, more glamorous era.... where people could not sing.

Jamie

I watched the recent SNL with my husband and her performance was really, really, awful. I wouldn't want to hear her music again. Maybe she was having a bad night?

lily

She may have been awful, but good for you, Daniel, taking the high road.

beef

She was GOD AWFUL on SNL. The worst act ever.

Emma

ALOT of acts suck on SNL. That wasn't that bad. Ive seen huge bands blow it completely on SNL. I'm glad I saw this though, it made me check her out and she's great :) What a beautiful song, not the best performance, but beautiful song regardless. People just need to calm down.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments