Comedian Ralphie May

Weed Nearly Killed Me!

1/19/2012 3:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

comedian Ralphie May
"Last Comic Standing" finalist and outspoken weed advocate Ralphie May is finally calling it quits on the sticky icky -- telling TMZ, smoking marijuana nearly killed him last year ... so he's giving it up for good.

May tells us, he was diagnosed with walking pneumonia before taking a cruise last November -- but the condition quickly got worse ... and before long, he was holed up in the boat's infirmary with a life-threatening lung infection.

May tells us, "If I hadn't been a 20-year weed smoker, it wouldn't have been as bad."

You'll recall -- May was detained in a Guam airport back in 2010 for weed possession after the comic decided to pet a drug-sniffing dog. Not his brightest moment.

May says he used to smoke around 4 ounces of pot a WEEK, but "feels great" ever since he quit -- adding, "I had a great time doing it, but now I can pet every dog in Guam."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Toilethead

Looks more like twinkies to me.

Cognizant _illiberal

i smoked every day for 15 years and never had a problem but then i started growing it and smoking so much i developed phsycosis while intoxicated and had to quit i never got paranoid or anything for 15 years but the copious amounts i did will mess you up i mean i smoked alot because i had so much of it growing it is not bad in moderation i just way over did it

Superman

The people that keep saying that "pot doesn't increase health risks" don't know what the hell they are talking about.

AntiSocialForum.com

I think he's more likely to have health issues from being grossly overweight than smoking the ganja.

gd45

I don't buy he was smoking 4 oz a week, but if he was then he's a moron who deserves to get sick. Weed, just like everything else, is fine for you in moderation... but if you abuse it then yes it's gonna be harmful to your health.

Nini

People... its because he smoked at all. If he had been a 'normal' smoker, he had developed the condition probably anyway. There is nothing wrong in smoking Marijuana, but it still has risks which people forget. Its not for everyone. Abusers make it hard to convince politics that its much needed for the terminally ill, in cancer therapy, for some psychiatric conditions. It helps much better in those cases than the standard meds with less side effects. I didn't say it has non at all. You have to be responsible when smoking it. Like with alcohol. Its not candy. But not a lethal weapon or whatever...

awards

Is this Chaz Bono's roll (not role) model? Looks like it!

Avalanche

Let's always blame the weed... It had nothing to do with those hundreds of pounds of fat... So obese people never have lung/breathing issues? I saw this dude sweating when he told a joke...

disinter

I read somewhere that cigarettes caused a health risk or two as well. Guess we should ban that evil drug. I also read that being 500lbs overweight causes a few health risks. We should start concentration camps to slim them down.

tanya

what an idiot, weed is not meant to be smoked in that amount, i can imagine being a fatty who probably doesnt eat right and smokes cigarettes on top of that will get sick easier. moderation is the key and if you are smoking that much you are smoking yourself retarded. ive been a daily smoker for over 20 years, never been sick, but i also am not sitting around doing bong hits all day.

Jackie

He's an idiot. I had walking pneumonia and my Dr said it isn't the weed I smoke, it was the cigarettes I smoke that did it. Weed doesn't cause harmful toxins to stick to your lungs like cigarettes do. The Dr said it was because I got sick and didn't quit smoking cigarettes that fluid built up in my lungs (which is what pneumonia is).

ilovegossip

Hey Ralphie, you could have at least mentioned it was the "Cowhead' cruise!

Dickeydoo

Fatty is just mad cuz he hasnt seen his **** whole life.

Dickeydoo

FAT

Fat Mike

Yeah right, and being unhealthy has nothing to do with the fact he is a self absorbed, pie-eating sloth. People like Ralph disgust me. I don't know how you could loathe yourself so much to do that to your own body.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments