« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

X Games Champ Sarah Burke

Dies After Skiing Accident

1/19/2012 1:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sarah Burke
Freestyle skiing legend Sarah Burke -- a 4-time X Games gold medal winner -- died today from injuries sustained during a recent skiing accident.

The 29-year-old Canadian crashed hard during a training session at the Park City Mountain Resort superpipe in Utah on January 10.

According to reports, Burke went into cardiac arrest shortly after the accident -- but was resuscitated and airlifted to a nearby hospital ... where she underwent major surgery to repair a tear in a major artery.

But Sarah's injuries proved to be too severe and she was placed on life support. Sarah's publicist confirms she died today, surrounded by her family and loved ones.

She is survived by her husband, fellow freestyle skier Rory Bushfield.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Fan

RIP Sarah. Passion.

ITUS

SO SAD and WHAT AN INCREDIBLE WOMAN!

Emily Jackson

In hearing about this, I was beyond wounded. I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury when I was skiing last year too. I kept praying that she would make it through this in a similar way to myself, but saying goodbye to her will be truly difficult. Massive apologies to all family, friends, and anyone involved with Sarah. My prayers go out to her family.

lisa stern

R.I.P, she lived her lie doing what she loved, where she loved, something that 95% of the people on this planet cannot claim. Congratulations on living your life Sarah~

brandon

why cant LL have this accident... poor girl

Joe Robbie

Live and die by the sword.

ITUS

WOW....my love to the family

dd

RIP!

There's a problem here

She was a lively, pretty, strong woman. That is a shame. At least you didn't have anyone saying "she died doing what she loved." That seems like it would be an even worse way to die. Too soon. R.I.P.

Muppet

Such a tremendous loss. Truly heartbreaking! May she rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. :(

luna

I saw this on the news tonight. how very sad for her family. She was so young. What a loss.

Em

RIP Sarah Burke. My heart goes out to her family, friends and fellow teammates. What a terrible loss.

HAHAHA

This is shocking! I cant believe some one would die after falling 1,200 feet and landing on their face. This could happen to any one...who sucked.

J

What a terrible thing to happen to such a young, vibrant and talented woman. I really hope she is at peace.

seatart

Taken too soon
Not soon forgotten
The Lord hath brought her home
Find Peace in the arms of the Lord.

Prayers and blessing to her family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments