« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Westboro Baptist Church

to Picket His Funeral

1/22/2012 11:56 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe PaternoMargie Phelps, daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps, announced on Twitter today the Westboro Baptist Church would be picketing the funeral of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.

Paterno passed away earlier today from lung cancer. He was 85.

Last October, Westboro announced they would picket the funeral of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. They also picketed the funeral of Michael Jackson.

The church is known for their extreme views against homosexuality. Based on other tweets (see below), Paterno's involvement in the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal is what drew their attention.

MargiePhelps tweet: Penn State Penn Rape rings in Joe Paterno's ears in hell. He partook of sin for fame & fortune. Worth NOTHING to him now.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

williamsdc03

The irony of Westboro is that all their disrespectful picketing will probably get them a ticket to the hot house once they die.

Nik

You know what, the man is dead, let his family have their time to mourn his death is nothing to picket. Picket the ******* still alive on trial. JoePa is not a threat to anyone and neither is his funeral.

AS

Let this man rest in peace.

AlwaysOnTimeB

This so called church is doing nothing but making themselves look like idiots. If they are indeed a "church" then they should know that whatever happens after a person dies is between them and their God. Freakin' idiots needs to go somewhere and sit down. Actually, someone needs to start picketing them!

Johnny

Why do you give this group of criminally insane lunatics any publicity? Half of the funerals they announce they will picket they never show up! In the wake of teen suicides throughout the USA + Canada, it is time to stop giving a voice to these homophobic hate groups!

RecRun

Why don't you go to Jerry Sandusky's house instead? Then people would actually like you picketing for once!

mdrqgz

Shame on TMZ for reporting this.

Westboro loves when people give them attention. They know everyone hates them. They thrive on that.

Just ignore them.

Tiggy

Though I'm not cool with what Paterno did, WBC better know one thing: if they protest his funeral, they're gonna get a beatdown Philly style while the cops are 'taking another call' in plain sight. This isn't a threat, but PA doesn't play.

phil

leave his family be. He didnt commit any crimes. blame penn state they did nothingafter reported the sexual assault

Shannon

If he knew about the abuse that is disgusting and wrong but what is more disgusting is the animals that are going to picket a funeral! He is gone, this is for his family!!! Leave them alone.....picket the school if you want, not his family!

Tim

They are going to need more than a dozen state troopers to protect them this time...they don't realize they are dealing with people just as fanatical as they are...oh, boy.

aB*

my husband was killed in Afghanistan earlier this year and they were planning on attending his funeral. we very quickly and methodically and peacefully put a stop to this. We called around every hotel in the area and told them if anyone from Topeka, KS or from the Phelps family tried to check in to kindly tell them there were no rooms. We also had people who if they did get into a hotel, were going to block their cars in (the police already told us they wouldnt mind). Lastly we had a group of Vets from the Patriot Guard who were going to nicely park in front of them to form a barrier and would if needed, rev their engines to block them out. all in all..., they never even got to the hotels!! thank god because my family did not need this. these ppl are sick!!

victory

What in the sam hill Church is Westboro? Certainly not any Christian based religion I've ever heard of. I believe, the profit, named Jesus, would have a thing or two to say to this group. More of a cult than an organized church. Penn State do not allow these idiots on the premises and have armed police at the ready, several strong fire hoses should do the trick.

MsRita

IF YOU GUYS ARE UNINFORMED ABOUT CHILD ABUSE HOTLINES. EVERY PERSON CAN CALL AN 800 NUMBERS AND REPORT ABUSE. THEY DON’T WANT YOUR NAME.
SO WHY WOULD THIS CHARITY AND PENN STATE NOT HAVE THIS INFO. IT WAS ABOUT THE STATUS AND REPUTATION. ANY CHARITY THAT DEALS WITH CHILDREN HAS THIS NUMBER. SO
YOU PEOPLE WHO THINK FOOTBALL AND THIS SICK ASS SCHOOL SHOULD STILL BE A PROUD PENN STATE STUDENT.HE IS DEAD AND ALL THE KIDS HE MET AND STILL ALIVE AND HAVING NIGHTMARES.
I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE PRAISING THIS MAN HIS REP IS LONG AND GONE BEHIND HIS COVER-UP.
I KNOW ITS SAD HE HAD TO GO OUT THIS WAY BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY HE DID NOT DO THE RIGHT THING HE PROTECTED THE BRAND.
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM MOLESTED KIDS PROBABLY LYING. MEN ARE SICK AS ****. PROTECT FOOTBALL AT ALL COST JOEPA IS ONE OF THE MOST HATED COACHES IN AMERICA.

CHILD ADVOCATES AND SOME MOTHERS OF LOS ANGELES. LOOKING AT THE COMMENTS FROM THE STUDENTS AND I GUESS PEOPLE WHO PRAISE HIM AND HIS LIFE GET A CLUE HE KNEW EVERYTHING BULL****. IF THEY LET SANDASKY COME TO THAT FUNERAL ALL HELL SHOULD BREAK OUT.
NO REASON TO PRAISE THIS SCHOOL. REALLY SHOULD BE CLOSED TOO TANTED. I WANT MY KID TO GO TO PERVERT STATE. YOU SAD PEICES OF ****.

DID NOT MENTION THE KIDS HE KNEW HE MAY DID THE SAME WHO KNOWS WHAT HE DID AND DID NOT DO TO THOSE KIDS ONE THING I KNOW HE DID NOT PROTECT THEM FOOTBALL AND PENN STATE WOULD BE RUINED.

SAVE A HORSE RIDE A COWBOY.
ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS
DON’T LIKE WHAT I SAID I DON’T GIVE A ****. I WAS MOLESTED AS A YOUNG GIRL 6 YEARS AND THEN RAPED IN MY LAUNDRY ROOM WHEN I WAS 24. I HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW THAN SOME OF YOU PEOPLE SO GET A CLUE HE MAY HAVE DONE THE SAME THING. WE WILL NEVER KNOW. PEOPLE WHO REPORT TO A SUPERVISOR ARE USUALLY IN ONE EVERYTHING.

MAYBE IT WAS EVERYBODY UP TO THE BOARD. WHERE ARE ALL INVESTIGAIONS?

MsRita

SAVE A HORSE RIDE A COWBOY.
ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS

MAYBE IT WAS EVERYBODY UP TO THE BOARD. WHERE ARE ALL INVESTIGAIONS?