'American Idol'

Exec Producer Pitches

Obama Duet with Al Green

1/30/2012 11:51 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0130_algreen_obama_BN
"American Idol" honcho Nigel Lythgoe has balls -- he's asking Prez Obama to come on the show to do the song that made him even more famous -- with Al Green.

Seems Nigel was blown away by Obama's short rendition of "Let's Stay Together" at the Apollo Theater earlier this month.

So Nigel just tweeted the Prez, "We loved your vocal performance so much we'd love to invite you on to American Idol this Season for a duet with Al Green."

We'd watch.  But is it a good move for the Prez?

Muppet

Would be hard to take a the President serious if he went on American Idol. Just seems wrong to me.

tami

Please....If our President could please take care of our country, it would be greatly appreciated! Try and start anyway!

viewer

Here's the campaign headquarters version where he sings with the music:

lanie

It is a TERRIBLE idea. Obama already has enough bad PR with the expensive Hawaii trip and Michelle shutting down the Agent Provocateur store in NY for a private shopping spree worth $50,000..

I am trying to find someone sensible to vote for but Obama has been a big disappointment. If Newt is the Republican nominee, I might have to swing my vote for Obama, but not if he keeps acting like a rock star, rather than the President of the United States.

rico

WOW, THERE ARE ALOT OF TEA BAGGERS POSTING TODAY, PLEASE CRAWL BACK UNDER YOU ROCKS.

Ttime

The FACTS on the Obama Presidency, thus far...
1) American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 has worked. The GDP continues it's recovery...
2) The $787 billion economic stimulus package has created or saved nearly 2 million jobs
3) Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 that extended Unemployment benefits up to 20 weeks and more.
4) The $26 billion aid to states package preventing large-scale layoffs of teachers and public employees.
5) As of March 31, 2011, created 1.8 million Private sector jobs since Jan 2010.
7) US auto industry rescue plan saved at least 1 million jobs

Dennis Johnson

OMG!Where did you find this pic. of HITLER?

Paula

America is really going down the turd tube really fast. With all these wack a** reality shows glorifying money, s*x, drama, fighting are just a a big downgrade from the television I grew up watching. I miss those days of wholesome sitcom shows where you actually learned a valuable lesson about family relationships and conflict with innocent humour thrown in. Today, 2012 media and celebrity, has just gone so far I don't even want to imagine what tv, internet and radio will be like 10 yrs from now. If President Obama decides to go on Idol, that will be the day I start watching re-runs on DVD of my fav sitcom shows from the 80's and 90's and not watch tv anymore. America is going backwards instead of forward. Wake up before we have a nation of completely illiterate children, if we don't already...

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I think that would be rather unprofessional.

Smarg

I'd rather not have this half-Kenyan reparationist have a duet with Al. Al is too good for him.

Steinberg

Ron Paul doesn't do this type of stuff to get votes.

I'M JUST SAYING!

ray

He would prove to everyone, including those idiots that voted for him, that he is an idiotic lieing SOB. While campaigning in 2008, Obama called Bush “irresponsible and unpatriotic” for adding $4 trillion to the national debt in 8 years. Now the shoe is on the other foot and Obama has increased the debt by 4 trillion in three years, twice as fast as Bush did. Would he call himself unpatriotic?

Grace

Pres Obama has done enough to cheapen the office of the presidency. I hope he does not stoop even lower than he already has but I wouldn't count on it. He has made this presidency all about him and he doesn't care about what is best for the country or how he looks to the world at large. He is a disgrace.

Julia V.

Watch "Head of State" with Chris Rock before judging. The people want someone they can relate to and it certainly ain't Newt or Mitt. I bet more people watch that AI episode than the State of the Union Address.

Jessica

It's okay for Bush to dance (like a fool) and it's not okay for Obama to sing? Good Lord.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments