Newt Gingrich

Sued for Using 'Eye Of the Tiger'

at Political Events

1/30/2012 1:28 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0130_newt_EX_01
Newt Gingrich is being sued by the company which owns the rights to the 1982 song, "Eye of the Tiger" -- claiming Newt had no right to use it as part of his campaign.

Rude Music Inc. -- owned by a member of the band Survivor -- filed the suit today in federal court in Illinois ... claiming Newt has jacked the song made famous in "Rocky III" to push his political agenda.

According to the lawsuit, Newt has been using the song at various political events since 2009.

In the suit, Rude Music claims Gingrich used the song at the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2009, 2010 and 2011 ... as well as the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in 2010.

RMI claims Gingrich -- along with his campaign team, Newt 2012, Inc. -- recently  used the song during a campaign event in Doylestown, Pennsylvania ... claiming, "Mr. Gingrich entered the packed Moose Lodge for a speech as the song 'pulsed,' according to the the Newt 2012, Inc. website."

RMI is also suing the American Conservative Union -- claiming it has republished various clips featuring Newt and the "Eye of the Tiger" song without permission.

RMI is asking a judge to order Newt and his team to stop using the song ASAP -- plus, the company wants unspecified damages.

Gingrich isn't the first G.O.P. candidate to be sued for using music -- back in 2008, Jackson Browne sued John McCain for using the song "Running on Empty" in a political ad.

update_bar

A rep for Net's camp tells TMZ ... "It is my understanding the band wants $200,000 because someone played their song.  That's one expensive concert ticket."

The Dude

What a waste of time, Newt isn't selling or profiting from the song so there is nothing they can do! They would need to sue every bar, radio station, karoake joint etc.. in the US. The most they can say is we don't like you, please stop using the song.

tattgirlsneedlove2

So let me get this straight....you can get sued for playing someone's music? So if I play Survivor's music while I'm driving my huge SUV, can they sue me? If I listen to their music while praying in church, can they sue me? I bet they wouldn't sue me if I had it playing on my ipod while I was getting an abortion....So what if someone plays your music who has a different political view then you!!!! This is still America!! I love how celebrities love to piss off fifty percent of the fans that made them famous. This is when you want to tell artists to just "shut up and sing"!

Scanner

How old are some of you posters? Have any of you ever written a paper while in school? Did you cite your references or did you just borrow/use the authors, photographers, or artists work and just say, "why they should be honored that I wanted to use their work!" Newt Gingrich and his staff knew that they would eventually get in trouble for using the song just like all the other politicians who use another artist's music without their permission. Have any of you wondered why when you are in a restaurant why they just don't sing "Happy Birthday" instead of some jingle? Yes, they restaurant can get sued. A political event is a business gathering that is held to make money and every politician should get permission. Songs are connected to memories, which is why some artists should never let company's use their music in commercials.

buzz kill

This disgusting dirtbag just needs to go away. Both political partys keep screwing the American people. Throw them all out and elect people who will actually keep their oath to defend the constitution and not simply line their own pockets.

caroline

Ok.... Is anyone else that considers themselves "Republican" REPULSED that THIS is the guy people are suddenly behind?!?! It's like a bad Twilight Zone episode.... think I may have to change my party affiliation to Libertarian since Ron Paul is the only one who makes sense to me. I would never have a clean conscience if I voted for this slimeball!!

tellmeaboutit

What is with these conservative clowns thinking they can just take whatever they want?? McCain, Pukin Palin, now this fat ass scam artist. Sue the hell out of all of them. And Newtie, next time you're in church pretending to repent, remember thou shall not steal.

SLOSteve

It's pretty well known that if you have an event that you're going to play music at, you need to pay for the right to do so. If you're cheap and don't think you anyone will find out, then you take the risk. When you have an event that is going to get a lot of attention, then you'd BETTER get permission.

These politicians want us to believe that they can run a country but can't even run their campaign well? Please.

Sully

If we had Voted for sopa He would get 5 years in prison how sad lol.. spoke to soon lol.. HAHA always Knew Knewt was a toad and a crook

KenzieQ

Newt also got a cease-and-desist order from Montreal-based Third Side Music for using U.K. band The Heavy's 2009 song "How You Like Me Now?".

disinter

And yet Newt will no doubt happily pass "tougher" copyright laws if elected.

jeff

You can't trust any politician. If newt goes against Obama, I have a prediction for him. "Pain...a whole lotta pain."

annantony

People need to take the sticks out their butts, who cares if they play they're music, its so annoying. http://www.newuknews.com

She's baaaack

Gingrich is one smarmy MF-er. He either got wood or zhit himself when Sarah Palin endorsed him and then Herman Cain endorsed him. All I could think when I saw Herman Cain endorse him was that it takes one to know one. I think even the GOP knows that if Gingrich gets the nod Obama is a shoo in.

Mike

I CAN'T STAND NEWT BUT I DON'T SEE THE BIG DEAL ABOUT HIM USING THE SONG IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S PROFITING OFF IT. I SEE IT AS THE SAME AS IF YOU ARE IN A GYM AND THEY HAVE THE SONG ON, ARE THEY GONNA GET SUED TOO? IF YOU DON'T WANT CERTAIN PEOPLE PLAYING YOUR MUSIC THEN DON'T MAKE IT OTHERWISE LETS DISCRIMINATE AGAINST WHO CAN PLAY CERTAIN SONGS. I CAN'T STAND WHEN PEOPLE GET PISSED BY STUPID THINGS LIKE THIS

JohnGuy

Prob. got it off of MegaUpload...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments