Celine Dion

Drugs Killed Whitney Houston

2/13/2012 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0213_the_interview_launch
Celine Dion isn't waiting for the coroner to give an official cause of death for Whitney Houston because she apparently knows what killed her ... drugs.

Speaking to "Good Morning America" today via phone, Dion wasted no time pinning Houston's untimely passing on drug abuse. She told Robin Roberts, "Whitney has been an amazing inspiration for me ... It's just really unfortunate that drugs, bad people or bad influence took over. It took over her dreams. It took over her love and motherhood."

Dion immediately linked Houston's death with other famous people who died from drugs. She went on to say, "When you think about Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse, to get into drugs like that, for whatever reason. Is it because of the stress and bad influence? What happens when you have everything?"

A cause of death has not yet been determined, but sources close to Houston's family tell TMZ the coroner has told them she died from Xanax and other prescription drugs mixed with alcohol.

mel

who does this woman think that she is to go out and make this call. She is not a member of the coroners office. Out of respect for her daughter and the rest of her family she should shut her mouth because nothing has been confirmed as the cause of her death. For all we know the coroner's office could come back and say she had a heartattack. When her husband get's whacked we would conclude that its is gambling problem that caused him to get whacked. I'm officially burning the B*tch's CD's.

Star1908

Celine needs to STOP! I understand that drugs played a roll in Whitney's life BUT to say that drug took over her love and MOTHERHOOD... come on now... People are very reckless with their words. Celine is so irrelevant... all she's seeking is an opportunity get some shine at a time when we should remember Whitney for ALL she GAVE to this world... Her music will live on for generation to generation. I love you Whitney.

Ms Titanic

Oh Celine...you are such an angel...I hope you never fall from Grace....but if so I'll be watching....

kory

Celine, how disrespectful!!!! Yes, Whitney struggled with drug addition. We do not need a tirade about drugs and the entertainment business and how you are ABOVE it because of your family. How dare you comment on her as a mother?! I'm SHOCKED at your lack of sensitivity.

Simone

Regardless of what the cause of death is on the coroner's report, drugs killed Whitney a long time ago. I think that's what she's saying. She lost control over her life, her priorities, her family, her actions and gave the drugs the control. I admire how much Celine protects herself and her family, because she's right that we need to recognize how these powerful external influences can take it all away if we aren't diligent.

vics0430

She is right, but I DO NOT LIKE this woman. I love Whitney and this woman will never be what she was to all of us: A SWEET KIND HEARTED HUMAN BEING.

RANEKA WILLIAMS

SHE IS WRONG FOR ATTACKING HER MOTHERHOOD. WHITNEY IS ALWAYS WITH HER DAUGHTER.

jeannie

I loved Whitney and I love Celine..Everybody needs to hold judgement until the coroner releases cause of death including Celine. Maybe she died from drugs, maybe she didn't..

Joseph

Why is everyone wanting to hate Celine for telling the truth. All of the news networks are trying to sell Whitney Houston as a SAINT and we all know she was not. No matter what anyone says or the final outcome of the death notice, she did this to herself with all of the abuse she gave her body for so many years. Celine did not say anything that 99% of people are saying to themseles.

TexasLover

Celine is sadly only repeated what you reported yourself. Although, I think she should have kept her mouth shut. You report celebritity gossip and news, that is your job. She should have kept her mouth shut, it was too soon for her to say anything. Plus, she needs to tend to her old ass huband, not talking smack about a legend that just passed!

everybody

This time Celine Dion is right.

keepingitreal

I liked Celine until I heard this interview with her on GMA this morning. She was like a little judgemental twerp. I was stunned at her holier than thou attitude. The host of the show seemed taken aback at the brutality of comments. She had no sympathy even though she said she styled her music and persona after that of Whitney Houston. Erase me as one of her fans. If it was drugs, then so be it, but lack of compassion in the interview is what pissed me off.

C. Ambrogio

Celine Dion needs to keep her comments to herself. This is a horrible tragedy for the family and they do not need some sanctamonious do gooder making the family feel worse. A tremendous loss, especially for her daughter.

Lisa

She's just saying what TMZ has been saying...and you bash her? Maybe we should bash TMZ for not waiting for the official report.

Ldunn

She should be shame of her self let them put her in the ground first befor you drag her name through the mud. Celine i guest you live in a glass house with nothing in your past.