« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Mets Legend Gary Carter

Dead at 57

2/16/2012 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0216_gary_carter_bn
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has died after a battle with brain cancer ... this according to his family.

The 57-year-old NY Mets legend had been diagnosed with an aggressive, fast-moving brain cancer last year.

Carter's daughter released a statement saying, "I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m."

She added, "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."

Doctors had discovered 4 small tumors in Carter's brain ... after the MLB legend suddenly began to forget things, repeat questions and lacked energy.

Carter -- who was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 -- is survived by his wife, 3 children and 3 grandchildren.

Carter was one of the superstars on the world champion '86 Mets squad. He was also an 11-time All Star.

R.I.P.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

melissa b

Very very heart breaking and sad. Hope his family and friends find peace. So so sad. :(

The Neko Nation

R.I.P. Kid, A guy who did it the right way. Should be getting more pub and praise than a drug addicted piece of trash like Whitney Houston.

Tye

Oh well..........NEXT!!!

tommyr

I'm upset over Gary passing, the hell with that alcoholic/drug addict Whitney. RIP Gary, you were one of the great Mets!

Chuck D of Valpo

A great great baseball player. Gary Carter had a strong work ethic who played the game with the greatest of ease. Young players would do well to study how he approached the game.

StevenTyler324

RIP to arguably the greatest catcher in New York Mets history. It's a very sad day for Mets fans.

miguel

In my era there were some great catchers from Bench to Munson and on to Carter. Classy guy with incredible ability to call a game. R.I.P. Gary you earned it and all the respect that comes your way. I'm sure there will be a moment of silence to start the baseball season and it couldn't happen for a more class act then Gary.

Steve

RIP Kid!

Denver

A great ball player and by all accounts an even better teammate, friend and family man. This guy should be getting all the attention and adoration for his life and the tragic illness he courageously endured, not that drug addict woman that none one can seem to shut up about.

Sharon

Sad to hear. He was a great player and a fine gentleman. Echo the sentiments of those who feel his passing should receive more attention than that of a self-absorbed addict who trashed her own career, reputation, and ultimately, life.

metsfaninbrooklyn

Gary, you were a wonderful ballplayer and family man, and your joy was infectious . . . rest with the angels now, Kid . . . we love you!

Sonya in Tx

The 1986 World Series when the Mets won was the most exciting series I've ever seen. Thanks for the memories Gary. You are my hero, then, now and forever. :)

Home Skillet

Bummed. He was a truly nice guy. RIP, Gary, and peace to your family and friends.

Hisjules

test

Peter Pan

Gary Carter enter the Hall of Fame as an Expo... Please respect his own wishes as to how he wanted to be identified...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments