Whitney Houston Invite

It's NOT a Funeral

It's a 'Home Going' Service

2/17/2012 8:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Official Whitney Houston invitation... not a funeral... but rather a home going service.
Here's the official Whitney Houston invitation ... and  Whitney's family is not referring to the singer's burial ceremony as a "funeral" ... but rather a "home going service."

The invite -- obtained by TMZ -- reads, "With heartfelt gratitude, the Houston Family requests the honor of your presence at the home going service for Whitney Elizabeth Houston."

A "home going" service is more common in the black community and is usually more upbeat and positive than a typical funeral. The focus is to honor the deceased as they go "home" to Heaven to be with God.

As we previously reported, the ceremony at The New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ will be a very exclusive affair ... with a guest list hand-selected by Whitney's family.

The event will begin at 12:00 PM EST -- with several of Houston's famous friends expected to participate in the service ... including Kevin Costner, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin.

0213_whitney_houston_greatest_footer

Luther Clark

Nice invite !!!! R.i.P. Gurl !!!!

CaliGyrl

The "Black" community???!! Are we in ancient times TMZ, oh...wait...with you guys it would make sense you'd say something like this...for the record it's African American community, GET IT? GOT IT? GOOOOD!

Cheryl A.

This is sooooooooo much better then a sad affair with a lot of tears. I bet most people would like to be remembered with people smiling and laughing and singing rather then silence, tears and sobbing.

Melanie

TMZ I love you guys and I absolutely love Whitney but why is this news? I thought this was common knowledge that the black community refers to funerals as home goings.

Gail

This is getting really stupid. You black people always hollers about US WHITE PEOPLE. It is sad that Whitney has passed away. I like others like to listen to Whitney. But enough already. the funeral so be private. I think that it should be just for her family and friend. I don't think the whole world needs to be there.. Her family does not owe the public anything. People get mad when someone refers to her as a drug addict. Well she was plain and simple...And as far as the flag being at half staff is completely bullsh!t.. She does not deserve it. She was not in the Military nor a Government figure. She does not deserve special treatment. Oh I forgot she is black that explains it.. Move on and get a life. People on here b!tching about TMZ and blaming them and Bobby Brown. Yes maybe Bobby did get her on drugs but she was a grown women she knew what she was getting into so it is her fault she is dead HER'S AND HER ALONE. So now they are trying to find a way of saying that she was like jacko wacko. They are looking for someone to blame.. When the blame is it was her fault. I don't care if you like my comment or not.. She is not to good to be placed in the ground as one person stated..She is no better than anyone else.. She killed herself and know one else caused it but herself...So stop blaming the world and everyone else for there death. Just saying...

AishaNicole

I didnt even read the article because she's dead, everything i hear is hearsay because i didn't know her personally, but when my mom died of cancer in 2004.her "wake" was called a "homecoming" which is really more uplifting than a "wake." I was in Catholic school from 3rd to 12th grade, but most of my fam are Baptist and otherwise. "Homegoings" are way more inspirational and 50x better than a "wake."

gitRdun

I'm sorry she died, but calling it a "Going Home" service completely ignores the fact that she died because of drug & alcohol abuse. Why are they so sure she's "Going Home" to heaven after the kind of live she lived and the way she died?

The Neko Nation

R.I.P. Rot in pieces you stupid crack whore.

Amber

@gitrdun: Do we know if she had made peace with God before she died. Jesus died on the cross for our sins so we could have everlasting life. He said he who beliveth in me shall have everlasting life. I don't know where she is right now...but...the bible that I read and I am assuming the bible that she read spoke of forgiveness of sin....I know she was a follower of Christ....

Also, in the Black community a Homegoing celebration is a tradition...what is wrong with that?

Hope

Whitney, the day God took you to heaven is when I took my last drink. Recovery is hard and I know I can do this.Yes I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU.....

Just_Me

Shut the hell up. When the story is about a service member, we pay them respect as well. It's called respect for the dead, idiot!

danny

she was number 1 i mis you r.i.p

Whateverbytch

it's ok to just use the term black...if someone uses African American, I assume they're sheltered and are afraid to offend b/c they don't deal with people of color in their regular lives

barbara mackey

sending my blessings out to the family.whitney will be missed i remember when i use to go threw things i use to listen to her music and it made me feel better,i wish i was invited.her number one fan.stay strong the lord has come to take another angel,r,i,p....

Bekz

I love it! I lost my son to SIDS in 2008. In the invite we asked people to be present as we handed our son over to the angels.... RIP Whitney your voice will go on forever!