Gerard Butler

In Rehab [Update]

2/24/2012 1:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0223_gerard_butler_exupdate_bar
12:04 PM PST --
Gerard's manager, Alan Siegel tells TMZ, "Gerard left Betty Ford early this morning and he's healthy."

----------------------------------------------------------

Gerard Butler
is being treated for substance abuse at the Betty Ford Center ... TMZ has learned.

Butler's problems were triggered by the physical demands of shooting "300" in 2006 (see video below of Gerard preparing for the role). We're told the actor began struggling with pain management, and the problem became exacerbated while filming "Of Men and Mavericks," when Butler was badly hurt on December 18 during a surfing accident.

We're told Butler realized he was relying too much on prescription drugs and decided to head off a full-blown addiction by entering Betty Ford three weeks ago.

Sources tell TMZ ... Butler also developed issues with cocaine, but the root problem appears to be the injuries and pain management.

We're told Butler will be leaving Betty Ford later today.

0224_gerard_butler_through_footer_v2

Mikey

It wasn't until he woke up and found that he had slept with one of the real housewives that realized he had a problem. Good for you.

The PMG

At least he was wise enough to recognize the problem and get help before it was too late. He'll be kicking people down the Pit of Death again before we know it. Get well soon

Jess

God bless him. I pray he finds his way. I get tired of people casting stones. How are you helping someone or making the world better by doing that? Get better Mr. Butler. Many people are rooting for you.

Rebecca

Part of the problem is that because they are famous and have money these doctors give them what they want instead of doing what is best for them!!!!

ThirdFromTheLeft

That's one sensible lothario.

who cares

3 week of rehab isnt seeking help It takes a month or more just to detox and any rehabing begins after detox. SO unless he got rid of all of his drug using contacts and friends theh he has no chance of staying clean. He must also still attend treatment several times a week. SO media makes it sound like he is all good now when infact it isn't all good. He has detoxed and not rehab!!! Big difference... I had a meth problem 19 years ago and i know first hand what it takes and he hasn't even began rehab. I was able to rehab myself but it want until later that i found out what i did to rehab myself was the samething they tell you to do during rehab. No relationships, no parties and the biggest thing throwing away your friends contact info and tell them you can't hang around them anymore. You do that for 2 years then maybe you can slowly enter a relationship but parties and bars are a no no for life. Most of his friends are drug abusers just like mine where i had two friends that didnt use drugs and many that did. Well if you stay clean long enough you figure out rather quickly that these people weren't friends they were only your friend because of the drugs and nothing more. SO he has barely even detoxed!

gogo

injury, painkillers, prescripton drug danger, oops, and by the way "cocaine". oxys, vickys, are convenient to have after a great cocaine binge. something to help you get some rest. poor thing, but hey, I will take care of myself before I abuse these things. I will bear the pain , and be a brave little boy. and btw I will mention the coke when I talk with my counselor. that could be a problem. but I will nip it in the bud.

tgrfan42069

so he suddenly is cured now that the story has broken

who cares

Also from what i read above he uses his pain as a excuse for the drug problem when thats so far from the truth. His addiction started with the coke and they making it seem like his coke use isn't the problem it's the perscriptions. But just what is said here tells me he hasn't rehab yet if he is saying stuff like that......

vern dufford

Maybe he should just try acting and forget trying to be a stuntman...that way he can at least dump the steroids it may also help with the coke problem...less pressure.
I'm sorry but that physique changes with every film and ain't from a few push ups!

RaffyBStatenIsland

Comunitee.com has more on this story, whether you believe the Butler camp's account or not. http://www.comunitee.com/comunitee/showComuniteeBarArticle.do?articleId=2832733&keywordId=3567&topCategoryId=5

Robohead

"Butler also developed issues with cocaine, but the root problem appears to be the injuries and pain management." I like how they sugar coat the cocaine issue and blame it mostly on pain management. It's obvious his PR team released this article.

Johnny Carcinoma

Why must everyone in Hollywood blame someone or something for their personal failings?

Harvey is practically a midget, but do you see him snorting coke or mainlining heroin!?

No, he accepts that he's a tiny little man and makes his living by sniffing celebrity underwear. Yeah, I went there.

lost grrl

This explains how come he has looked so horrible lately.

Kristinajp

NOOOOO, not him too :( How many of these great actors/singers are we going to lose to this horrible disease :( I hope he is able to get real help because he seems to be a not just a great actor but a nice guy. You never hear of anyone saying bad things about him :(