Micky Dolenz

I Knew Something Was Wrong

2/29/2012 11:38 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0229_micky_dolenz_getty_BN
Micky Dolenz says he had a feeling something bad was going to happen today ... saying  he "had bad dreams all night long" ... only to later learn about the death of his friend Davy Jones.

Dolenz released a statement moments ago ... saying, "Can't believe it...Still in shock...had bad dreams all night long."

In a separate statement, Dolenz added -- "I am in a state of shock ... The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family.

Monkees bassist Peter Tork also released a statement about Jones which reads:

"It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones.

His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family.

Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy."

RaffyBStatenIsland

Photo of one of their last shows in this story. http://www.comunitee.com/comunitee/showComuniteeBarArticle/2933964/46697/5/146

Mike S

It's hard to accept the original Daydream Believer is no longer with us. There was something about Davy's awkwardly earnest manner that made him especially hilarious to me in those old Monkees episodes. Rest in peace.

Sonya in Tx

Mickey is right.

I had nightmares for a solid month before my father in law was killed in a plane wreak. Awful.
RIP to David Jones when music could be enjoyed in the presense of family without blushing because of the lyrics.

ayorayor

As a kid growing up in London, I was nuts about the Monkees and had a huge crush on Davy Jones and Michael Nesmith. They once stayed at a hotel by our place, and I kept pestering my mom to take me to see Davy Jones. In my mind, I thought that I could knock on their door and the Monkees would open the door and let us in! No wonder my mom ignored me. It's really sad, and sort of a reality check for people in the middle-aged and up group ~ like myself! Sheesh...

Pam Cooper

My Name is Pam Cooper Adopted Maiden name George Previous Message I wrote that goes along with that.

Pam Cooper

As long as I have been knowing every one of them ever since My adopted Parents Ralph and Dottie George adopted me We knew them and they did know us. I will miss my GodFather alot more than yall think he is also my Uncle on the Boyds side of the family Blood Kind

Meanie

Sad news. He was one of the good guys. RIP Davy Jones.

anonymouse

I, too, had a premonition of his passing.

I mourne for my lost youth with the passing the first Monkee.

May the angels cheer your arrival a thousand times more than all your fans throughout the years.

Cindy O

It's passings like this that make me remember that I am NOT invincible, as I've always believed. But then, the next day I wake up and think I am once again, unbeatable.

Majestik

We've heard from Dolenz and Tork, any word on a message from Nesmith?

I'm still heartbroken, they were to do a show here last year but cancelled at the last minute because of infighting. I would've been able to see my childhood honey's and especially Davey. Sure wish they didn't cancel.

Rest in Peace, Davey Jones

Somerville

TMZ: it's easy to get a quote from Dolenz. The coup would be to get Mike Nesmith, who wants nothing to do with the Monkees and has never appeared with them at reunions, to give a quote about Jones. He and Jones did NOT get along. I gather this was because Jones wanted Nesmith to join the reunions.

Nesmith- the most musically talented of the Monkees - went on to have the most successful music career after the group split up.

Somerville

Majestik: Nesmith and Jones famously did not get along after the group members went their separate ways. I hope he does make a statement.

Fuck Celebrities

Sad news... he brought so much joy.

RIP

Cowboy

I had all their albums...great songs-
I watched the show with my sister and brothers - fun stuff
...I was a little kid back then and a big fan of the Monkees

Laura

This is so sad. BTW, Michael Nesmith did release a statement and you can read it in TMZ's initial story reporting Davy's death. No matter how much they bickered, all four Monkees shared an incredible experience together and it seems like they genuinely liked and respected one another -- even if it was at a distance. Mike Nesmith also famously posted a very nice tribute to his one-time arch enemy Don Kirchner who handled the Monkees music when Kirchner passed away a couple of years ago.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments