'American Idol' Contestant

Shovels B.S.

To Get Sympathy Vote

3/13/2012 12:36 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jermaine Jones
Jermaine Jones
-- the 6'8" gentle giant on "American Idol" -- has big problems with the truth, because he fabricated a sob story to "A.I." producers to win the hearts and minds of the American people.

"A.I." sources told TMZ ... last week, after appearing on the show ... Jermaine came to them and said his dad called him from out of the blue, claiming pops abandoned him and his mom 10 years ago.  Jermaine told producers he was extremely upset that his dad suddenly reappeared in his life now that he was famous and potentially rich. Jermaine said his dad was "a lousy father" and wanted nothing to do with him.

Well TMZ spoke with Jermaine's dad, Kevin Jones, who says the sob story is absurd  -- that he has had an ongoing relationship with the young man through the years and even had dinner with him on both Wednesday and Thursday night of last week.

Kevin also says his son was not telling the truth about getting a phone call from out of the blue -- Kevin says he was actually in the audience last week supporting his child.

We spoke with production people on "Idol" who tell us they are "shocked" Jermaine concocted the story and it seems like it was all a ploy to get some traction on the show.

We could not reach Jermaine for comment.

Little Ricky on "I Love Lucy"

'Memba Him?!

0110_welcome_ricky_memba_launchKeith Thibodeaux became famous for playing Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's son, Little Ricky, on the classic '50s TV series "I Love Lucy." Guess what he looks like now!

Daylight Savings Time

STARS LOOKIN' SLEEPY!

0309_sleepy_launchAs the world springs their clocks forward an hour this week, check out which stars look like they are feelin' the effects of losing the extra snooze time!

Dueling Dresses

Who's More Stylish?

0313_welcome_dash_launch

Kendall Jenner raided her sister Kim Kardashian's closet last night for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" -- wearing a dress Kim wore back in 2010.

But who wore it better? See more fashionistas who've donned the same dress as somebody else above and vote for the more stylish star!

Donald Trump's Sons

Ignite War

Over Animal Butchery

0312_trump_hunting_launch_EX_v3
Donald Trump
's two sons went on a big game hunt in Africa, and the carnage they wrought has triggered outrage by wildlife enthusiasts.

Donald's sons -- Donald Jr. and Eric -- went on a hunting safari in Zimbabwe a year ago this month, and proudly showed off their trophy kills -- including an elephant, crocodile, kudu, civet cat and water buck.

In one shot, Donald Jr. is holding a dead elephant's tail in one hand and a knife which appears to have cut off the tail in another.

A wildlife enthusiast's website has just created a YouTube video of the slaughter expressing outrage.

As for Donald Trump, he tells TMZ, "My sons love hunting. They're hunters and they've become good at it.  I am not a believer in hunting and I'm surprised they like it."

Trump added, "I know that anything they did was 100% OK in terms of the hunting community."

"Bachelor" & "Bachelorette"

Couples Then & Now!

0313_welcome_bach2_launch

Ben Flajnik popped the question to Courtney Robertson on last night's season finale of "The Bachelor" -- but will they make it?

Check out all 24 couples from all the previous seasons of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" and find out if any of them are still together.

"The Hunger Games"

Jennifer & Miley Show Skin

At Premiere!

0313_welcome_hunger_launch

The red carpet for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" was jam-packed with stars last night in L.A. -- where Jennifer Lawrence and Miley Cyrus showed some serious skin.

See their premiere looks, plus shots of Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Elizabeth Banks and more!

Brinn

I think AI pretty Much makes a lot of useless drama itself because of time filling and it draws viewers and i am a Little sick of and gets boring with alL the fake tears

aunty

i've got no problem with hunting for food or even taking a trophy animal in addition to hunting for food. i do it all the time but given that few of these "elephant, crocodile, kudu, civet cat and water buck" are not generally high on the list of food critters and certainly not on the list for trumpites this is indeed "barbaric".

Brinn

I think AI makes fake drama for themselves as time fillers andmit draws viewers... it's turned into a soap opera and franklyvit's getting boring

Melody

re: A.I., I am going to keep my mind open, and not going to believe either son OR father, I will make my decision as to who I believe once the young mans mother says how she feels, and how often/how much of a father Kevin Jones actually was. It isn't fair for anyone to jump to conclusions before she actually speaks up about the situation. Just my 2 cents.

rafy manso

THE GENTLE GIANT IS ABSURD. DON'T LIKE THE WAY HE SINGS, IT IS REALLY BORING. HIS MOTHER SHOULD BE SUED JUST FOR BACKING HIM UP. DAMN MAMAS BOY, TOO BIG FOR THAT.

Lily Langtree

I believe the idol, Jermaine is telling the truth that is the footsteps that some dead beat fathers follow in...

John

The show lost all credibility for me last year when Pia Toscano got dumped early and the friggin Gomer won.

Escalonz

Six foot eight makes for one hellova pile of BS.

Safaris would come to a screeching halt if the animals could shoot back and I consider it a cowardly act unless the animals were over populated. Overpopulated? Cased by mans own overpopulation?

Jean

A talent show should be just that. Drop all the sob stories. How many contestants, especially on America's got talent", have moved on higher than they should have because of their story?

Tim

that lying sob should have gotten the boot last week instead of that good kid.

Steve B

What's the big deal, stars, politicians, motivational speakers all fabricate obstacle filled life stories to capture the sympathy vote. Tony Robbins lived in one bedroom apt, er, in Santa Monica, Hillary Swank and her mom lived in their car -- in Hollywood while sleeping in a friend's place at night (while Hillary auditioned assuming neither were equiped to get a real job), and on it goes all the way to Sen. John Kerry and the infamous PT Boat.

Sherri

Wow..... no more votes for him unless he earns it with his singing..... and he is not a pop star..... thinking the voters will bypass him this week. Bye Bye Bye to the not so gentle giant.......

jane

I was thrilled when Jermaine was called back, however I detected arrogance in him last week when the judges offered constructive criticism. Anyone who's made it to the final 2 or 3 in Idol knows enough to listen, but this toothless goof made some arrogant comments as if he knows better than the judges. Right then I said to myself, I hope he goes! Now hearing that he's lied to gain sympathy, give this guy the boot ASAP. He's dumb as a stump with the personality of a rock, so let's work with the others.

Ed

Lets get all the facts before we all make judgement on either the dad or son. It is funny how we all believe the media first. Is everyone guilty before being proven so? I hope for Jermaine that he is not a lair because I don't think he has the skills in the first place to even be on the show and this will not help him out.

bstill

Did he say his name was Sambo or Sachmo?