'Kony 2012' Exec

Joked About Keeping

$900k Donation for Himself

3/27/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jedidiah Jenkins
One of the heads of Jason Russell's Invisible Children organization made a video after the charity won a $1 million grant ... in which he appears to be drunk and joking about keeping $900,000 for himself.

TMZ has obtained the clip ... featuring Jedidiah Jenkins, the Director of Ideology for the charity dedicated to hunting down African warlord Joseph Kony.

The footage appears to be shot in 2010 ... right after Invisible Children won the $1 million grand prize in the Chase Community Giving Facebook competition.

In the video, Jenkins is holding a handle of Smirnoff vodka ... and slurs to the camera, "I don't know if you heard this or not ... but we won a ... we won a million dollars so ... pretty rad."

After chugging from the bottle, Jenkins continues ... "a hundred thousand for Haiti and $900,000 in extra for me."

As for the Haiti reference ... the contest was held one week after the earthquake in Haiti and Invisible Children had promised to give $100k to Haitian relief efforts if they won the prize. We have no idea how the remaining $900,000 was spent.

A source connected to Invisible Children says the video is a joke that Jedidiah recorded and posted on a private YouTube page right after the group won the prize. We're told the bottle was filled with water, not vodka.

Invisible Children's rep has not responded to our calls for an official comment.

update_bar
10:00 AM PDT -- Jenkins has finally commented on the video ... saying, "I was joking. It was made for my co-worker who was out of town when we won the prize."

Jenkins also says the Smifnoff bottle is filled with water ... not vodka ... explaining, "Who can drink that much Vodka? Definitely not me. I’d die. It’s clearly water. I’m not gonna apologize for being a human that jokes with his friends."

Tomaso

"Director of Ideology"

It does not get more Orwellian than that.

Just another criminal enterprise run by hucksters to rip off the gullible.

sid

wow. another Manchurian goes nuts

Leonex

The truth comes out when your drunk...Jason Russell the Kony guy is 51-50...Yeah right...that was a act to keep all the Money. Wake up.. it's just about the money...Nothing more..

Windlife

This probably is a joke, but who in the world would joke about such a thing. This organization has been criticized for years and always seems to have a pitiful excuse. Their campaign was full of false and outdated information and they have repeatedly joked about serious issues. Pathetic. This organization needs a media special like 20/20 to show their unethical behavior.

Joel

Stop defending this idiot. He is the face of a "serious" organization. He shouldn't be recording anything like this REGARDLESS of whether it was supposed to leak.

charity

why do these charities pay themselves so much in administration costs? seems like they want their cake and to eat it, too. if you're running a non-profit, you should lead by example and stop taking donors money to pay yourselves $90,000.

Karly

That is so INCREDIBLY irresponsible. Even if it is filled with water, anyone affiliated with an organization has to know that everything they post can and will be under public scrutiny. His coments are incredibly disrespectful. I don't know who would even think that is funny. What an *******.

Publius

I'm indifferent to his spending the on money himself, but I am offended that he isn't drinking a higher end vodka, like Luksusowa. Has he no shame?

mak

Wake up people. You were all taken by these scam artists.

B

FULL UPDATE:
“I was joking. It was made for my co-worker who was out of town when we won the prize. I made it for her to make her laugh and let her know we were thinking of her in the office. It’s hilarious that anyone would think it anything other than a joke. I mean, who can drink that much Vodka? Definitely not me. I’d die. It’s clearly water. I’m not gonna apologize for being a human that jokes with his friends. I’m just sad that bottom feeders like TMZ get pay checks for manufacturing controversy in real people’s lives.”

grege

To all who give to these LIBERAL "Charities"......Suckers

Noobswinalways

You guys are pretty stupid if you think he is serious.. obviously he made the video like he said to send to someone who was not where he was to inform them of getting all that money. Come on, glasses tilted chugging vodka like that? You are an idiot if you think that is real.

charity

unfortunately there are two narratives going for kony 2012, and i don't think it matters to subscribers of one belief whether or not it's a joke. these guys need to make some serious PR moves to show this movement is about the kids and not the organization. how about 100 percent of money donated in 2012 goes to relief on the ground for those effected by kony. then i'll order an action kit.

Ewan

That's what you get when a bunch of homosexual men open a charity, they are homosexual because they are selfish and only care about their own gratification, not to help anyone but their wallet and *******. ***gots shouldn't be allowed to run charities.

tellmeaboutit

Ahuh, right. That sounds believable...not. Scammers.