Christie Brinkley's Ex:

'Today' Show Cryfest Was

Cunning and Shameless

3/28/2012 6:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328-peter-cook-christie-brinkley-getty-BN
Christie Brinkley's ex-husband claims the supermodel's teary appearance on "Today" was nothing more than a "cunning and shameless" attempt to "garner public sympathy by "dishonest means."

Peter Cook released a statement ... BLASTING Brinkley's interview with Matt Lauer ... saying, “Christie was entirely dishonest about the circumstances surrounding the current court action which was precipitated by her and ... is doing further damage to our children."

In case you missed the "Today" show interview yesterday, an emotional Brinkley claimed Cook has been on a mission to destroy her life since they broke up.

Cook is clearly unhappy ... his statement continues, "I am also shocked by the blatant lies she told regarding our divorce proceedings of four years ago, including denying the indisputable fact that she fought for an open courtroom despite the warnings it would harm our children.”

"[Brinkley] will stop at nothing to continue the drama in our lives in order to harass me and keep herself relevant in the media."

Cook also claims Brinkley is simply still bitter from when he cheated on her with an 18-year-old woman during their marriage ... saying, "Clearly, Christie does not believe I was punished enough four years ago for my indiscretions in our marriage, but for the sake of our children I wish she would find a way to move on.”

squeakermama

There comes a point where the "he said, she said" needs to just stop. I don't know the full story but I can see she is part of the problem. The verbal vomiting is a symptom of it. Poor woman is seeking some serious validation. He cheated on you, it's HIS problem. So let it go and move on.

Llee

I bet Billy Joel is glad he dumped her years ago.

Kat

Matt Lauer is cruel - as far as I saw, Christy wanted to talk about her Broadway debut - not her divorce. Matt Lauer badgered her until she cried - no crocodile tears - tears of frustration! She is not a politician looking for a policy change or an election update, she is not a murderer claiming innocence, she is a woman that was cheated on while she paid the bills, and it looks like she wants to move on. I wonder if Matt Lauer is friends with Peter Cook. Maybe Peter Cook will call on Matt Lauer’s wife :)

Kat

Bud

You cheated on your wife which makes you a skumbag...period. Get over yourself and let Billy Joel have her back :)

Darlene Baumann

Peter Cook is a piece of sh-t. Shut up and go away you cheating, cradle robbing, gold digger. Christie is beautiful and did nothing wrong in my view.

self-employed

First, I am not a Brinkley fan, however, Matt Lauer is the one who brought all the dirt up and kept digging at her about it. She was there to promote her play "Chigago" and he monopolized the interview with invasive questions. He was a real creep and so is her ex. I'm sure she is a spoiled little rich girl with four marriages behind her, but she wanted to talk about her upcoming play. Matt would not let her. Her ex is the one who slept with an 18 yr. old. He needs to shut up.

janiejane

I totally agree - those tears where just fake as fake could be. So he cheated on her - big deal it happens move on. Plus for her to say he is not allowed to talk bad or about this in public - what was she doing. WOW she deserves an Oscar.

Christy

I watched both Christie's interview (more like an AMBUSH) and Peter's. In fairness to Christie, she was on Today to promote "Chicago." Matt Lauer even admitted that and HE and THE PRODUCERS of Today are the ones who chose to lead off the interview with the "news" of the ongoing animosity. When Lauer sat down with Christie, it was clear that he had no intention of discussing "Chicago" and every intention of going after Christie. He didn't even fake impartiality! He clearly came off as being on the side of Peter. I found myself HATING Matt Lauer even more than I already do, and thinking him crass, arrogant and a real a-hole! It was obvious that Christie was caught off guard and felt like she was being attacked on national TV. I imagine she felt as if she were being sucker punched! This morning when it was announced on the Today Show that Peter Cook had called Matt Lauer emploring him to give his side of things, I found it odd that Lauer didn't, himself, conduct the interview, but insead, allowed Savannah Guthrie (a softball journalist) to do it. The fact that Cook "reached out" to the Today Show only goes to prove Christie's point that he is a narcissistic, ego maniac, intent on putting himself in the "lime light" and keeping himself there. I haven't seen Christie give one interview regarding her divorce in the 4 years since it occurred. Yesterday's interview was not her way of airing dirty laundry as Cook suggested. In fact she was spot on in saying that whenever she has any type of success is when Cook decides to make play for the spot light. He did this when she announced she would be starring in "Chicago." She wasn't there to talk about her divorce. She was there for a completely unrelated reason. Shame on Matt Lauer, and the Today Show for blindsiding your her and other guests like that. They should be embarrassed for that kind of sensationalistic "journalism."

Jennifer

the more brinkley talks, the more I am starting to realize she needs attention and I think aging is bothering her. I don't know why anyone would want to talk about the crap going on their marriage. It is not like Cook started talking first and she had to defend herself. She is treating the public like a free shrink service. she is embarrassing her kids and this type of treatment by celebrities should be considered neglect and kids should be subject to DHHR. That would shut a lot of these attention hungry freaks up.

GAZ

Christy Brinkley is not only losing her looks, which she has relied upon for years to get by on, but apparently her mind as well. Go away and take your phoney TV act with you.

Debbie

He's lucky that's all she is doing.

pegasus

She's a phony and this interview only solidifies her zero credibility level.

christy

Wow bitter bitch. She is sooooo fake i can't stand it. get a life and leave it alone you whacko. her poor ex-husband my GOD no wonder.....she is needy for attention.

Christian

he is the manwhore that started all this, why should he have the right to call ANYONE shameless