« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Olympic Hero Kurt Angle

I'm Hunting for the Scammers

Who Stole $4k from My Mom

3/29/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328_kurt_angle_getty_ex
Former Team USA wrestling gold medalist Kurt Angle is on a mission to avenge his 80-year-old mother ... who sent $4,000 to heartless phone scammers after they convinced her a family member was in danger.

Angle tells TMZ ... his mother recently received a call from someone in the Domincan Republic who claimed her grandson was in a local jail and needed $4,000 STAT ... or the consequences would be severe.

Angle's mom, who lives in Pittsburgh, wired the cash and thought everything would be fine ... until she got another call the next day ... demanding an additional $4,000.

Mama Angle couldn't afford the payment ... so she contacted Kurt ... who had a feeling the whole thing was a scam and reached out to the family member who was supposedly in danger.

Turns out, the family member was FINE and hadn't been to the D.R. in over a year ... so Kurt contacted local authorities to get to the bottom of the situation.

According to the FBI, Kurt's mom is just one of MANY victims being targeted by international scammers who prey on the elderly.

Kurt tells us he has a feeling the people who duped his mom have an accomplice working near her home in Pittsburgh ... because they knew about his family ... and managed to find his mother's unlisted phone number.

"I'm gonna find the son of a bitch who did this to my mom," Angle tells us ... adding, "I don't want this happening to anyone else!"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Truth

GOOD LUCK BUDDY... THESE GUYS ARE ALL INTERNATIONAL CON THIEVES WHO HOP FROM PLACE TO PLACE. THE BEST THING IS FOR THE MOMMY TO HANG UP AND/OR CHANGE HER PHONE NUMBER. BETTER YET GET HER A PRIVATE CELL NUMBER AND DISCONNECT THE HOME PHONE PERMANENTLY. #TRUTH!!

ros

Hey Kurt...for $5000 I will tell you who it was

rick james

Hey TMZ at least have the dignity to spell Dominican Republic right you morons.

arale norimaki

You do not boo an Olympic Gold Medalist. I`m the best in the world. I came here for you. You dont` boo me.

RaineeDrops

People in this world are sick, exploiting the elderly like that. I do hope he can locate who is behind scamming his mother.

So wrong.

yoyomama

Kurt Angle WILL F this guy up! It's True!! It's DAMN TRUE!!!

Big D

I hate people who target the elderly

Bird

Something similar to this happened in my town not long ago. The guy was a so-called "financial adviser", and he scammed at least 100 elderly citizens out of every last penny they had. He met most of his victims at the local churches. He would gain their trust, and then convince them to make several "investments" under the guise that it would help them "double their life savings". In reality, the piece of sh_t was pocketing every dime of it. A lot of people lost everything they had. The man was finally caught and put in prison, but that doesn't mean much considering the fact that he ruined these people's lives. There are so many sc_mbags out there who would rather scam people than work hard and make their own honest money. It's sickening.

Anonymous

It is very unfortunate, but he has virtually no chance of finding them. They are probably in a foreign country, and out of reach...bit I hope he proves me wrong.

shirtlady

The same thing happened to my husband, and he's not on face book or twitter. Somehow the new our email and home and his at work. They had personel information, and emailed both locations. He also got phone calls at work. Send $1900.00, and the guy responded the next day asking for the same amount again. The email address showed our friends email address, and he was traveling out of the country at the time.

Jim

Since when does old mean stupid? Everyone should be well aware of these scammers by now. Myself, i love messing with them. Sound interested, have them mail stuff, have them call back and keep them on the line as long as possible. Finally set up a meeting and don`t show. If you are going to be stupid enough to send money without doing the homework, then suck it up butter cup. You just became a more informed person. Learn from your mistake and move on.

attitude

Man I hope he finds them.....

Heather

This happened to my elderly neighbor last year, luckily everything ended up ok and the scammers didnt get any of her money!!

AJ

The same thing happened to my 85 year old grandmother last year. It's easier than many think... Facebook is their best friend when finding a target, especially if you have your family notated for everyone to see. My grandmother lost $5000.00 and when they called for more was when she got other family members involved.. people wonder why she didn't check first, but they are very convincing, they knew things that she thought most wouldn't and just totally snowballed her. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kurt and his family as they deal with this deceit, and I pray maybe through this we can catch the louses who perpetrated this act.

kathy

same thing happened to my mom have some kind of code with your family. its an expensive way to learn a lesson.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments