Tyler Perry

Cops Launch Investigation

into Allegedly Racist Traffic Stop

4/5/2012 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.
Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Police Department says it's launched an internal investigation .... after Perry publicly accused two officers of racially profiling him during a traffic stop earlier this week.

Perry says he was leaving his ATL studio ... when he made a left turn from the right lane to ensure he wasn't being followed. Tyler explains, "It’s a safety precaution that my security team taught me."

But Tyler was pulled over by police for the illegal turn ... and claims he was harassed by two "hostile" white officers until a black cop arrived to the scene and recognized him.

On his Facebook page, Perry says the black cop "immediately took both officers to the back of my car and spoke to them in a hushed tone. After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic. I said all of that to say this: do you see how quickly this could have turned for the worse?"

Tyler then wrote, "RACIAL PROFILING SHOULD BE A HATE CRIME INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI!!!"

For the record -- Tyler Perry did NOT get a ticket.

Reps for the ATL PD say it's looking into "whether any departmental policies or procedures were violated during the stop.”

1128_cop_encounters_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

DOODOO HATER

FIGHT THE POWER!!! YEEEPEEE im 1st

Phil Alger

Or maybe you should drive correctly??? Just saying?

Bud

Heeeerrrrreeee we go folks! Quick!! Call the "Reverend's"!!!!

scott white

So YOU, TP, make an illegal turn (probably putting others in danger) and the cops are racist?! Really? I am sure you think you are above the law (traffic and otherwise) but you broke and you got pulled over. Not everything is racist...

@iAMTIMWILSON

So because (2) good ole' boys didn't reconize you without your wig & boobies, they profiled you? Sounds like sum1 needs a (((HUG)))

Lauri

I thought it was profiling when you're pulled over for no reason. What he did was very dangerous. Bogus things like this hurt the pursuit of fairness, not help.

Clytemnestra

Yes, just what the black community needs at this time is more crap like this...Tyler was in the wrong, he was not beat up, etc. If he weren't famous, he would probably have gotten a ticket. What's this closet case complaining about?

jeremy

so if you get pulled over while making an illegal turn, the cops are wrong because you are black... F*#! YOU Tyler Perry

gcm

Why waste money investigating this! He admits he broke the law. What are the cops suppose to do when someone breaks the law, ignore it.

Ari

He admits to making an illegal and dangerous move. So when he gets pulled over he screams RACISM and will walk away with an apology from cops DOING THEIR JOB!?!?!

PAULA

He admittedly made left turn from right turn lane. I’m pretty sure that is against the law. How is that racial profiling? The fact that he didn’t get a traffic violation is proof of celebrity special treatment. I wouldn’t know him from Adam if I ran into him on the street. SMM.....

LA you're on the line

So you turn illegally then cry racial profiling for getting pulled over. Your "security" team advises you to make illegal traffic maneuvers? "I'm Tyler Perry! I can do whatever I want." I don't care if you are yellow, green, or blue - you made an illegal turn and got caught.

I suppose he will want a "beer summit" with Obama now.

quitav01

I love Tyler Perry, but this is ri-dam-diculous. You are not abouve the law and just because you are famous doesnt mean you can indanger or disturb traffic just to make sure you werent being followed. The laws are made for everyone rather "black, "white", "purple" or 'green". So just because 2 white cops did not recognize you and let you slide because you were trying to evade the paps or whoever is not racial profilig...IM SORRY, BUT GET REAL TYLER.

Matt

Oh luurrrrrrrrd, here we go again with this I'm black bulls***. Maybe if the majority of a race didn't act a certain way, then that certain race wouldn't be profiled. That certain race should take responsibility for their actions! That certain race, happens to be the most racist bunch of people on the planet, and for no good reason. Get over yourselves, slavery ended over 100 years ago, no one you all experienced it, neither did your parents, GET OVER IT! BE PRODUCTIVE, AND QUIT LOOKING FOR HANDOUTS!

Kate

So, to me this story sounds like 1) Tyler Perry made an illegal turn, 2) Tyler Perry was pulled over for the illegal turn, 3) 'Racist' cops 'harassed' him by giving him lip about making an illegal turn and not recognizing him, 4) black cop arrived and informed 'racist' cops that Tyler Perry is a celebrity, 5) Tyler Perry was let go by three cops who decided his celebrity is more important than the law he broke.

I agree the cops behaved poorly, but not for the reason Mr. Perry seems to think.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments