Tyler Perry

Cops Launch Investigation

into Allegedly Racist Traffic Stop

4/5/2012 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.
Tyler Perry presents ... a possibly racist incident with police in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Police Department says it's launched an internal investigation .... after Perry publicly accused two officers of racially profiling him during a traffic stop earlier this week.

Perry says he was leaving his ATL studio ... when he made a left turn from the right lane to ensure he wasn't being followed. Tyler explains, "It’s a safety precaution that my security team taught me."

But Tyler was pulled over by police for the illegal turn ... and claims he was harassed by two "hostile" white officers until a black cop arrived to the scene and recognized him.

On his Facebook page, Perry says the black cop "immediately took both officers to the back of my car and spoke to them in a hushed tone. After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic. I said all of that to say this: do you see how quickly this could have turned for the worse?"

Tyler then wrote, "RACIAL PROFILING SHOULD BE A HATE CRIME INVESTIGATED BY THE FBI!!!"

For the record -- Tyler Perry did NOT get a ticket.

Reps for the ATL PD say it's looking into "whether any departmental policies or procedures were violated during the stop.”

1128_cop_encounters_footer

rdd

I believe that's called a TRAFFIC VIOLATION Mr. Perry and the "black cop" got you some preferential treatment because you're a celebrity. It doesn't matter WHAT your security team advised you. That is an illegal turn. The cops aren't psychic. The only racial undertones here are YOU accusing them of pulling you over for racial motives. Clueless.

PQ

It sounds like the "black" cop should be reprimanded for allowing a "celeb" to get away with breaking the law.

COURTNEY

ISNT TYLER PERRY RACIAL PROFILING BY SAYING THE BLACK COP RECOGNIZED HIM? SHEESH PEOPLE, STFU AND FOLLOW THE TRAFFIC RULES, BLACK WHITE OR PURPLE.

Gary

Seriously, why is it every time a black man gets pulled over it's racial profiling? He just admitted he broke the law and the office did what he was trained to do. Despite being black he actually received special attention. I'm white and if that was me I would have got that ticket because I'm not famous like Tyler Perry. Doesn't appear the agency is racial if they have taken on black officers according to the story. I say race card is being used here.

pass12

Um, he made an illegal turn, the cops pulled him over for that, how is that racial bias?

who's racist?

Tyler Perry has always been anti-white then says this? GTFO

Chris

He made an illegal turn and got pulled over. How is this racial profiling? What an idiot.

He even got special treatment when someone recognized him, and he's STILL pulling the race card.

Tyler Perry, go to hell.

Dan

Dude, you broke the law and got pulled over. Get over it and quit trying to blame your poor choices on racism. It is stuff like this that is keeping racism alive and breeding it into people who otherwise aren't racist. We are sick of hearing be used as an excuse for bad behavior and poor choices.

D-

Well I am gonna sue Tyler Perry for racial profiling in his movies. Not a dang white person in any of em!

Rob

Hey Mr. Entitled dbagg, turning left from the right lane is breaking the law as well as very dangerous for you and anyone else on or in the road. When you break the rules of the road you get pulled over. Am I the only one sick of celebrities wanting preferential treatment and even sicker of the whoa as me race card being pulled????

All of us commoners, white and black, wouldve at the least gotten a ticket and the worst, hauled off -- get a life and quit wasting Ga taxpayers money so you can keep your pathetic no talent azz in the press

Dingo Ate My Baby

What a loser this guy is. he breaks the law and gets caught and claims is cause he is black. His so called security team has no authority to tell him its ok to break the law. Again this guy is a loser.

Yep I said that

A left hand turn from the right lane an illegal turn yep that's profiling for you

david 183

Did I miss something here! He made a left turn from the right lane.He says it was a safety precaution that my security team taught me. If the cops were following him he should of driven lawfully and not given them a reason to pull him over. He is just looking for attention. What an a*8hole

m

racially profiling. What a azzwipe.

hoodsfield

looks like this one is blowing up in mr oprah's face. why is this guy so rich? why does he continue to get money to produce bad movies and tv shows? i guess the "community" needs to have people to look up to and this guy must have an alarm clock or something because he keeps showing up to produce more crap.
was he dressed up as a fat woman when he was pulled over? not only would it be hilarious but he could have screamed sexual harassment too. in the bad old days they would have pulled his ass out of the car, planted some weed, said he resisted and broken his jaw. he should stfu.