Melissa Etheridge

Tammy Burned Our Kid

With a Cigarette

4/10/2012 11:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0410_melissa_etheridge_01
Melissa Etheridge has just filed legal docs, claiming her former domestic partner, Tammy Lynn Michaels, accidentally burned one of their kids with a cigarette.

Melissa, who is in an epic battle with Tammy, wants the judge to order both her and Tammy to go smoke-free around their twins ... to prevent any cigarette-related accidents from happening in the future.

In the docs, Melissa also claims Tammy has accused her of having no maternal instinct and therefore is against striking a 50/50 joint custody deal. Melissa says Tammy is adamant ... she did not give birth to the children to give them away.

Melissa calls Tammy "angry and vindictive."

And highlighting yet ANOTHER display of nastiness, Melissa says Tammy once sent her an email saying, "You have to support so many households because YOU BROKE SO MANY HOUSEHOLDS, silly.  If you had decided to have one ounce of integrity/honesty as a person or partner, you would NOT be in this predicament. Think about it."

In her docs, Melissa attached an email she claims Tammy sent her way ... which says, "They aren't leaving my care while you are on the road -- a completely inappropriate place for 3-year-olds -- not to mention you can't track them, have no child care, and they were bit by dogs in the house last time you had them."

Melissa is asking a judge for more time with the kids. A hearing is set for May 22.

Carl

You know we are reaching true marriage equality when homosexuals can have divorces and custody battles every bit as nasty as straight people have.

Straight Talkin Texan

Nice to see that sexual orientation does not guarantee different relationship problems.

Tammy sounds like she's damn angry. Melissa sounds like a dumb B--ch!

"Melissa says Tammy once sent her an email saying, 'You have to support so many households because YOU BROKE SO MANY HOUSEHOLDS, silly. If you had decided to have one ounce of integrity/honesty as a person or partner, you would NOT be in this predicament. Think about it.'"

Um, Melissa is stupid to "air" this laundry because all it does is make HER look bad.

Tracy

I'm not understanding why Melissa would attach those emails to her pleadings? Um, Tammy doesn't sound unhinged, she just sounds truthful. And SNAP on the "broken home" comment. Truth hurts, I guess. And I like Melissa, but she does have a track record...

Tammy

Does anyone know if Melissa legally adopted Tammy's kids? Because if she did not, they are not her kids and she is under no LEGAL obligation to support them. Furthermore, since she and Tammy were not married, it was a commitmnet ceremoney, she's under no LEGAL obliagtion to support her either. (Note: I'm not advocating Melissa leave them high and dry, but maybe it's time Tammy is reminded that she is not LEGALLY entitled to $23,000 a month.

Simone

Why would Melissa attach those emails? They sound very reasonable to me, so I'm not sure how that helps her case. I think Melissa's awful and I totally understand Tammy's anger although I wish they would both grow up and act like adults for the sake of the kids.

karri

Will you two idiots pull your heads out of your asses? OMG unbelievable. First off Tammy $23,00 a month is PLENTY of money. Second of all I can't believe you both smoke especially after Melissa going through cancer. What in the heck is wrong with you two? GROW UP, GET ALONG, AND MOVE AHEAD WITH YOUR LIVES!!!

Christine

I am telling you gay or straight...put two women together fighting over something..it's on!!!

Celebrities Suck

why is Melissa Etheridge exposing this now? I bet because she's going through a bitter divorce. NOW She's coming out with this story about Tammy accidentally burning one of your kids? You said it, it was an accident.

Marvin

Lesbians are so full of drama.

What

Foresight is priceless in relationships. If Melissa really had her business together this legal battle wouldn't exist. The lack of planning suggests that she's also a bit of a mess.

janet

C'mon people...it's never for the sake of the kids. That's always the same lame excuse. The kids are always used as pawns and leverage and nothing more. Two adults really pissed off at each other so of course let's use the kids.

Ellen

I'm on team Tammy with this one too. The burning incident was called "accidental" so that's what it was. I fell down the stairs with my baby once. No one called me unfit.And I know the twins are just about 6 because I used to read Tammy's blog and I was pregnant with my almost 6-year-old at the same time. So the email Melissa is quoting is at least 2 or 3 yrs old. And Tammy's email to M about breaking up families? How was that vitriolic? If the shoe fits...

ilm

So where are those legal do***ents?

Kabala

I love it when lesbians fight.

TMP

I've read a bunch on these two and it sounds more and more like Melissa is not only a horrible mother to the kids she doesn't take care of, but she's also a horrible partner to have. She left her last partner and her kids with her high and dry until the judge FORCED her to take of them. For whatever reason she has, she INSISTS that her parents not work (so they don't have their own money), get pregnant and carry the kids, and then she ditches them all and then tries to get out of any kind of child support. All she has against Tammy is that she ACCIDENTLY burned one, once. While I agree you shouldn't smoke around your kids, it was an accident. What Tammy has against Melissa is more than enough to make a judge roll their eyes at Melissa's claims.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments