Mel Gibson

Ripped By 'Maccabees' Writer

'YOU HATE JEWS'

4/11/2012 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_Joe-Eszterhas_mel_gison_hates_jews_getty
Mel Gibson is sabotaging efforts to make a movie about Jewish biblical hero Judah Maccabee because he "hates Jews" ... this according to the film's screenwriter Joe Eszterhas.

Gibson and Eszterhas had been working on the project together ... until Warner Bros. suddenly decided to pull the plug ... and nobody seemed to know why.

But now, it's crystal clear -- there was a MAJOR rift between Gibson and Eszterhas ... with Eszterhas firing off a harsh letter to Mel earlier this week ... in which he says point blank, "I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason you won’t make ‘The Maccabees’ is the ugliest possible one. You hate Jews.”

The letter, obtained by TheWrap.com, reads, "You continually called Jews 'Hebes' and 'oven-dodgers' and 'Jewboys.' It seemed that most times when we discussed someone, you asked 'He’s a Hebe, isn’t he?' You said most 'gatekeepers' of American companies were 'Hebes' who 'controlled their bosses.'"

Eszterhas adds, “You said the Holocaust was 'mostly a lot of horses**t.' You said the Torah made reference to the sacrifice of Christian babies and infants. When I told you that you were confusing the Torah with The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, ... you insisted 'it's in the Torah -- it's in there!' (It isn't)."

He says Mel only wanted to make “The Maccabees” so he could “convert the Jews to Christianity.”

In his letter, Eszterhas says he witnessed Mel rail about his ex-GF and baby mama Oksana Grigorieva ... saying, "You were raving at Oksana even after you’d reached a custody agreement over Luci."

“And then you were even more explicit about your threat: “I’m going to kill her! I’m going to have her killed!” You said you’d become friends with two FBI agents (or former FBI agents) and they were going to help you to kill her.”

Calls to Mel's rep have not been returned.

Tellthetruth59

The letter is so filled with drama that you know some psychotic failed writer penned it. It's over the top ridiculous. His ego is hurt because his script sucked and got rejected. What was Mel even thinking working with this guy?

StevenB

My question is why Eszterhas hung in there so long? I would have bailed much, much sooner. Mel's first anti-semitic utterance would have me expressing my disgust and unwillingness to put up with such crap. The second utterance would be proof to me that he hadn't just 'misspoken' or 'made an error in judgment' or some other such thing and I would be out of there and on my way to the offices of the powers that be to have him replaced by a writer who isn't a bigot. And if Gibson made those threats again Gregorieva - the police should have been called.

S.J. Bobkins

To use a term such as "oven-dodger" could only come from an incredibly cruel person with a sadistic nature. The pain that would be felt by a survivor or the descendant of one would be intense having heard the word spoken with no apparent opposition to its use. I know Mr. Gibson is a very involved Catholic, what I don't see is the existence of any type of Christian ideals in the life he seems to be living.

static

So we're supposed to take his word Mel said all that?
If you're going to make allegations like that you better be able to prove them.

jon

The fanatical and marginalized bunch that makes racist comments about Jews in articles like this one - the apologists for Mel Gibson - are truly pathetic. Reminds me of the nuts who can't stop praising Ron Paul(although this bunch is even more loony than that).

Jealousy and hatred know no ends in some people

NobodySpecial

I believe Eszterhas. He is setting himself up for a gigantic lawsuit and yet he is not afraid to speak up. Let's see what Mel does with this. I have a feeling he won't touch Eszterhas at all.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Oh BS.

Dear TMZ: how nice of you to pass and not report on any of the 'good' news about Mel (if anyone can call what you write as 'reporting'). Yet give you a little opening to make a mountain out of a mole hill as long as Mell looks bad, man you jump on it with both feet. DISGUSTING.

Lawdog1521

Warner Brothers rejected the script because it sucked. The only shocking thing here is that the writer of Showgirls was given the job in the first place.

Tellthetruth59

new thread

Carl

Not a shock really. Actually the only thing that surprises me in all this is that Mel wanted to work on this project at all.

Keyser Söze

This letter is the best fictional script Eszterhas wrote in years.

Completely bogus and phony, but, my God, is it entertaining!

ShowMe

Is Mel Gibson a raging antisemite who barely conceals his disdain for one particular religion? Yes. Did Mel say these particular hateful statements while working with Mr Ezterhas? Wellllll....how about some proof of that. Pony up the proof!

Gigi

Why would he agree to participate at all in a movie about Jews, if he hates Jews so much that he tried to back out of doing the movie? That makes no sense to me at all.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Dar TMZ,

you post articles in such a tone as to INCITE racisim. Then when ppl post the same, you remove them?? Pft. How delusioanl are YOU! The hate YOU start rolling is already rolling. Too late! Removing posts does not make it disappear. THINK before you post your hate if you don't want ppl posting theirs back.

Debbie

total bull**** plain and simple

Debbie