Mel Gibson

Joe Eszterhas is a Liar

... and His Script SUCKED

4/12/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_mel_gibson_joe_eszterhas_2
Mel Gibson is lashing back at his "Maccabees" collaborator Joe Eszterhas -- claiming Joe's accusations of anti-Semitism are pure BS ... and saying the real issue is Joe's script was TERRIBLE.

Mel just penned a letter of his own in response to Joe's ... in which he states, "I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications."

Mel acknowledges he recently lost his cool with Joe during a conversation about the movie ... saying, " I did react more strongly than I should have." But he also explains "I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms."

Mel then explains his frustrations with Joe ... writing, "Not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time."

In his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he "hates Jews" or made anti-Semitic statements.

As for Joe's claim that he wanted to get back in the good graces of the Jews, Mel says, "Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago."

Mel's parting words -- "I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication."

MEL'S LETTER TO JOE

Joe,

I have your letter. I am not going to respond to it line by line, but I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications. I would have thought that a man of principle, as you purport to be, would have withdrawn from the project regardless of the money if you truly believed me to be the person you describe in your letter. I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script.

I will acknowledge like most creative people I am passionate and intense. I was very frustrated that when you arrived at my home at the expense of both Warner Brothers and myself you hadn’t written a single word of a script or even an outline after 15 months of research, meetings, discussions and the outpouring of my heartfelt vision for this story. I did react more strongly than I should have. I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms.

Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago. I absolutely want to make this movie; it’s just that neither Warner Brothers nor I want to make this movie based on your script.

Honestly, Joe, not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time. The decision not to proceed with you was based on the quality of your script, not on any other factor.

I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication.

Mel

Kelly

Mel Gibson is more famous as an anti-Semite and homophobe than he is for his films, and rightly so. He's better at those things than acting because he's not acting when he spews the hate in his heart.

Tellthetruth59

Mel, what did you expect from the guy that penned Show Girls? Seriously. Bad decision.

Tellthetruth59

It seems Eszterhas is fibbing because I'm pretty sure Ox is still alive and living at Sherman Oaks rent free. Wish she were alive and deported back to her "moth hole" but you can't have everything...

SImon

I happen to belong to a group that Mel Gibson came out and hated on a long time before he expressed his opinions on Jews ~ He bashed gay people along time ago and said he would never apoligize and as far as I know he didn't. I got over it when it came to his movies because the bottom line is from Braveheart to Apocalypto the man makes GREAT MOVIES! He's also a great actor, I tent to believe him in this story and truthfully think he's an okay guy...

Rogue Warrior

It's about time Mel is back to schooling folks!!!! And is it any wonder Zimmerman is in jail? Just look at him.....

Phreaky

I think everyone knows Mel hates Jews, and I think that when EVERYONE around Mel is saying that he is an arrogant, racist, ahole, then it's not EVERYONE making up stories, it's true.
Mel is done.

Bob

Doesn't matter how much Gibson hates jews, the fact is that Eszterhas wrote Showgirls, Jade and Basic Instinct. Why this hack isn't flipping burgers at a Dairy Queen is the real crime here.

angelika466

Bravo Mel,
Well Said!

NobodySpecial

Mel has been "working" on this project for 10 years but has come up with nothing ? So Eszterhas writes a script and Mel doesnt like it so all the blame is on him ? What has Mel been doing for 10 years ? Sounds to me like the studio hired Eszterhas to do something Gibson could not and he didnt like it and made life impossible for Eszterhas so they broke off their deal. Who would show up without a script if that was the reason they were supposed to show up ? 15 months of talks and "no script" ? Maybe it was just not the script Gibson wanted. Something is very fishy about Mel's response.

ray

TMZ you guys sure do like to spin it out don't you? You say "his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he "hates Jews" or made anti-Semitic statements" but you know you are full of crap. HIS letter said "
statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications."
Seems to me that this concise statement addresses all your concerns.

pattic

Total crap how this fabricated nonsense from Eszterhas hits the news right before Mel releases his new movie.

just because

i am so sick of ignorant people who are grown adults that get offended by something someone says.

Rogue Warrior

Mel rocks while Oxskankity should be buried with them.............

Johnny Carcinoma

The world already knows that Mel is a raving, ignorant and demented anti-Semite. Even he no longer tries to deny it.

I can't stand either party in this dispute so I hope they both drive each other even further insane.

Frieda

Way to go, Mel. Joe E is a throwing one of his infamous tantrums, determined to make a name for himself on Mel's back one way or another.

All I can say is that Mel needs to quit hooking up with unsavory people like Ox and Joe E. I never thought either were talented

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments