Mel Gibson

Joe Eszterhas is a Liar

... and His Script SUCKED

4/12/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_mel_gibson_joe_eszterhas_2
Mel Gibson is lashing back at his "Maccabees" collaborator Joe Eszterhas -- claiming Joe's accusations of anti-Semitism are pure BS ... and saying the real issue is Joe's script was TERRIBLE.

Mel just penned a letter of his own in response to Joe's ... in which he states, "I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications."

Mel acknowledges he recently lost his cool with Joe during a conversation about the movie ... saying, " I did react more strongly than I should have." But he also explains "I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms."

Mel then explains his frustrations with Joe ... writing, "Not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time."

In his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he "hates Jews" or made anti-Semitic statements.

As for Joe's claim that he wanted to get back in the good graces of the Jews, Mel says, "Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago."

Mel's parting words -- "I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication."

MEL'S LETTER TO JOE

Joe,

I have your letter. I am not going to respond to it line by line, but I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications. I would have thought that a man of principle, as you purport to be, would have withdrawn from the project regardless of the money if you truly believed me to be the person you describe in your letter. I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script.

I will acknowledge like most creative people I am passionate and intense. I was very frustrated that when you arrived at my home at the expense of both Warner Brothers and myself you hadn’t written a single word of a script or even an outline after 15 months of research, meetings, discussions and the outpouring of my heartfelt vision for this story. I did react more strongly than I should have. I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms.

Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago. I absolutely want to make this movie; it’s just that neither Warner Brothers nor I want to make this movie based on your script.

Honestly, Joe, not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time. The decision not to proceed with you was based on the quality of your script, not on any other factor.

I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication.

Mel

nof

Don't think we'll be seeing Joe anytime soon ...

-And at Mel's Church.

...You need a-good-second-draft...

-Just to cross the Malibu town border...

...All a bad-first-draft-gets-you...

-Is Venice Beach.

Tellthetruth59

Another new thread and it get's worse. Esterhas is off his rocker.

nof

@ "I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script."

-Ouch, and I say this sincerely...

Mumra the Ever Living

Joe Eszterhas F.I.S.T., Basic Instinct, and Showgirls was not able to create a decent script for "Macabees". Hey look, if that Bill Shakespear hack could write a play about Judas Macabee, then you think that Joe could have done a bang up job. He could have Judah Maccabee spread his legs like Sharon Stone, Joe could of have done a great little Vegas dance number with some Elizabeth Berkley look-a-like - it would have been epic.
Oh, and we know that Joe has the highest moral qualities in Hollywood, just look at his body of work. I think Mel is getting jobbed here by a disgruntled hack writer who was way over his head.

nof

@ Esterhaus (allegedly) not delivering a word after exhaustive notes/meetings ...and in fifteen months?

________________________________________________

-If this is true, and I believe Mel Gibson?

...Gibson SHOULD have slugged him -

I know a dozen decent writers - I'm one of 'em.

-That woulda had an acceptable SHOOTING script -

-Given THIS kind of opportunity/chance.

A damn shooting script!

Joe, what were you thinking - your career hangs in said balance?

NobodySpecial

Reminder: Mel Gibson is about to release a brand new movie called "Get the gringo". It's going straight to TV, not the theaters. LOL. So much for his big come back.

Phil

After The Beaver, who is Mel Gibson to say what "sucks." lol!! Mel Gibson is a man of his words... and his words are hateful, disgusting and racist. Not just to Jews. He hates and has used racial slurs against African Americans, Latinos, Asians and women. These rants have been RECORDED. So who do you want to believe? Even worse... he may make a sequel to The Beaver! The hate filled man must be STOPPED!!

Debbie

Well if Warner Bros and Mel said that about his script It sounds as though he has spat the dummy big time

You Go Mel

Debbie

lilia

Time Warner also said that the script is really bad.. Why this stupid guy is so angry at Mel?

azlee

I am soooo not remembering something right. Who was it that is Jewish that was going to do the same story?

rosa

Ok this is gonna sound really stupid but I tend to believe Mel on this one. The last two times he really F**k Up he came out with little sorry statements, went to rehab OR completely dodged the topic. However this time Mel is defending himself cuz THIS time lol he didn't do it. Like I said its gonna sound stupid.

Everyones~A~Star

I'm a passionate and intense creative type and I agree most creative types are just that but "I want to f**k her in the ass and stab her while I'm doing it." isnt passion its just plain violent. Damn you Mel I used to love your movies. Now your just some creepy racist woman beating douche. Its not hot. Please lord I never wish to see a Mel love scene again after reading this story. IF he said that ...its pretty sick...and Mel saying it is sadly very believable.

cogboy

whatever it is that mel' is going on about, it's clear that he escalated things. what could he have said that requires apologizing to joe's family? mel used up his "star gone wild" card about a dozen tantrums ago. his explosive personality is well known and his hate issues are not exactly some great hollywood secret. while mel's body of work is superior to joe's, joe is a deeper hollywood power broker. mel can pretty much kiss what little is left of his career goodbye. it's mel's own lousy script for life that has undone him. and the oscar goes to... karma.

tellmeaboutit

Damn, who the hell woke up Joe Eszterhas?? See what you get for poking the bear; he jumps up and starts raving. Nothing new here on Gibson. Everybody knows now that he's a hateful, bigoted lunatic. And Eszterhas is no good guy either. He's got years of his own crappy antics behind him. Both are douche bags.

riverlady

WHY is Mel Gibson involved in doing a movie on the Maccabees? Gibson has made several anti-semitic remarks in the past and I definitely believe in the smoke/fire theory. This is a great Jewish epic and Gibson is one of the last people who should be involved with it....very, very sad!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments