Levon Helm

Dead at 71

4/19/2012 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Levon Helm has died after a long battle with throat cancer.
The Band
singer/drummer Levon Helm -- famous for hits like "The Weight" ("Take a load off Annie" ...) -- has died after a long battle with throat cancer.

Helm -- diagnosed with throat cancer in the late 90s -- passed away this afternoon in NYC, surrounded by his friends and bandmates.

Helm formed what would eventually become The Band with Robbie Robertson, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko and Garth Hudson in 1964.

The group went by various names -- but didn't become the "The Band" until after they toured with Bob Dylan in 1965 and 1966 ... a reference to their back-up band history with various frontmen.

Helm has won 3 Grammys for his solo work in the last 4 years. In 2008, The Band received the Grammys' Lifetime Achievement Award.

Helm is survived by his wife and daughter. He was 71.

0419_levon_helm_footer

kristine

TMZ you dropped the ball on Jonathan Frids death!!!!

I'm disappointed! :

able_walker

Levon Helm...Vocals and Drums..Genius.

gimmeshelter

now, this was real music. can't we please rid ourselves of the hip/hop and rap **** that ruined our american culture and just have honest, great and REAL music back..please?

Sabrina

RIP
... and now that damn song is stuck in my head.

Salvatore

Loved your music, and became interested in your music through my mother and my childhood. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I could appreciate the music fully, but I love the laid back Canadian soulfulness that was part of your music's sound.

Hope you're enjoying the next leg of your journey...Rest well.

CutTheCrap

Most recent work I've seen of his is the small part hey played in Shooter, a small part, but a great one at that.

Gadgetgirl

i remember him from coal miner's daughter. i only knew him as an actor. i love that movie. r.i.p. levon.

your own luck

Loved The Band!

Jeff Becker

Did he die from embarassment from those huge fake chompers in his mouth?

SNAFU

I enjoyed his work in The Right Stuff also. RIP

sunnyroberto

Classy . . humble . . . talented . . . soulful. Levon was everything that today's musicians are not. Two years from now, nobody will remember Justin Beiber, but 40 years from now my grandchildren will be rocking to Levon and The Band.

I luv u RPattz!

I loved him the movie SHOOTER.

Tomas Pavelka

RIP Levon, you're a legend to me. And definitely to thousands of others. May you rest in peace http://www.memmento.com/Memorial-at-Memmento/669/Levon-Helm
Please visit and share a memory. Let's make this tribute BIG!

JB

As a supporter of all music, I have to say that something is very wrong with the state of music today. There has been very little, if any coverage on Levon's health on MTV in the past couple of days. I remember turning on MTV around the time Lil wayne was getting out of jail and they followed the prison bus and updated the situation like it was something important for the kids to know. As a kid, I hated hearing music like the band and fought with my father about it constantly. I still love my old and new styles of rap, country and even metal, but as I got older I found the music that Levon Helm and the band made to be timeless. I can only hope the new generation will give it a chance and let their musc influence them with the great songwriting and lyrics. RIP Levon, ther are very few like you with us today.

disembedded

Levon Helm was a joyful, gentle man who gave many wonderful contributions to rock music through the years. A detailed multimedia tribute to Helm can be found here:

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments