Don Cornelius Autopsy Report

'I Don't Know How Long

I Can Take This'

4/24/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Don Cornelius autopsy report
Don Cornelius was in an extreme amount of pain in the days before his death ... and minutes before he shot himself, Don phoned his son and told him, "I don't know how long I can take this" ... this according to the autopsy report obtained by TMZ.

According to the report, the "Soul Train" legend had been experiencing seizures as a result of an aneurysm he suffered 15 years ago.

But Don's health took a dramatic turn for the worse in the last 6 months of his life ... and he became "very depressed about his failing health."

Don called his son at 3:00 AM on February 1 ... and warned his son, "I don't know how long I can take this." Don's son told him he'd rush right over ... and Don said he'd leave the back door open.

When Don's son arrived to Cornelius' Los Angeles home, he detected an odor of smoke and saw Don seated in a chair with a pistol in his right hand.

Don's son called 911 ... and paramedics treated the 75-year-old for a bullet wound to his right temple.

He was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Don's son told cops he had no idea his father even owned a gun.

0424_remembering_don_cornelius_footer

jessie

That is so sad...

Swins

I feel so sorry for Don, his son and the family. Rest In Peace Don C. You were and will always be loved!

matt

R.I.P.

Jay W.

Self euthanasia happens often when an individual's health is in decline. RIP Don.

Carl

If California (where he was) and other states would do like Oregon and create an assisted suicide law then people like him could have left this world with much more dignity.

arkbri

Really ??? c'mon..did u have to post a pic with his right finger pressed against his temple with this story ????

MrHottie

I'm surprised TMZ isn't trying to post DEATH ROOM photos like everyone else they've already done. Shame we missed another SPRITE can in another death room celeb photo.(:

Anonymous

That is a damn shame. RIP jarhead (he was a Marie during the Korean War).

Jim

This is the exact reason assisted suicide should be legalized. Now then, go fight amongst yourselves, as I know you will when you don't agree with something.

duh

Way to go - father of the year. What a nice life-lasting image and psychological gift you gave your son. Why bring them into this world, and put all of your energy and life force into their lives, just to do that to them? Well, whatever he did with his life to piss you off, you got even. Well played, sir.

Seldombinlaid

God Bless, and rest in peace Don. Tough when doctors won't give a person enough pain medicine to help. My doctor is like that. She used to give me the right amount, then started me on tramadal. This stuff is a joke. If something works levae it alone. Sorry I got side tracked. Don was a fine man, and he will be missed.

Bubs

I feel bad for him...my SIL has AVM (the brain condition he was suffering from) and it's an extremely painful and debilitating condition.

UGH...

You guys are slipping. You blanked out Don Cornelius address on the case report and then left it in for the Investigators Narrative. Well I guess if anyone wants to drive by and see where he once lived. They have the full address now.

ema

Please change the picture of Don with his finger to his (right) temple. Very poor taste.

Jane

"Son come on over to my house and collect my body"

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments