TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Ashton Kutcher

Popchips Ad PULLED

Over Brown-Face

5/3/2012 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503_ashton_kutcher_raj
Ashton Kutcher's new commercial for Popchips has officially been PULLED amidst allegations of racism ... after the actor donned brownface makeup to play a goofy Bollywood producer.

The ad -- which debuted on the Popchips website -- featured Ashton playing a variety of characters in a spoof "dating" commercial ... including a biker, a hippie, and an Indian guy named Raj.

The ad pissed off a whole bunch of people -- including blogger Anil Dash ... who called the ad, "a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he's doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice."

Dash explained on his blog, "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad."

In the wake of the backlash, Popchips took down the ad ... and Popchips CEO Keith Belling issued a statement saying, "We did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."

198 COMMENTS

No Avatar

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments
1.

Mary P    

Are you kidding me? Seriously? So when Raj from Big Bang Theory makes stereotype statements, where's your outrage? What about when the Wayans put on "white face"? Good grief.

821 days ago
2.

She's baaaack    

Oh good lord, everyone is so fcuking sensitive. On one hand who the F cares. On the other hand, I wish Ashton Kutcher would go away forever

821 days ago
3.

chucklehead    

the pop chip ad is not racist at all.

821 days ago
4.

witz01    

I'm a brown guy and this is stupid. Life is too short to get offended at everything...let alone something as benign as this.

Nothing racist about the ad IMHO. It wasn't particularly funny, but that's a different story.

821 days ago
5.

Shug    

lighten up people! geesh. Soon we are not going to have any comedy in this country.

821 days ago
6.

IceGypsy    

Saw it last night. It wasn't offensive, it was funny. This politically correct crap has got to stop. If they pulled every commercial, TV show, movie, book that offended someone, there would be nothing to do. Lighten up people.

821 days ago
7.

Bitch Pudding    

I actually see nothing racist about the commercial. I thought it was entertaining. Everyone is so fkin' sensitive anymore. What is wrong with people?

821 days ago
8.

scoopie    

How is it racist? Political correctness gone overboard.

821 days ago
9.

ME    

No such thing to be a racist against a white person, Or a hate crime against a white person...So 70% of the population has to walk on eggshells to pacify the other 30%...I say go Fack yourself!

821 days ago
10.

Jaded373    

Lighten up people, not everything is racist, sometimes its just funny. Seems caucasians don't whine all the time about racism when jokes or comments are made about them......

821 days ago
11.

shiela    

Big Deal!!!!! Ok so if we are going to see dressing up as another race, racist. Then I guess we can't dress up as a person with 9 toes, red hair, stupid smile, etc. the list goes on and on. The whole principal about it being racist is the tone and meaning behind it. Otherwise, it's just someone's opinion, a selling strategy or just plain ole' life. The only ones keeping racism alive is those that actually live by it and those that take everyday life and turn it into racism.

821 days ago
12.

Marilyn    

Another stupid, clueless racist like Mel (toilet brain & mouth)

821 days ago
13.

BB not bb    

It was funny in a sick kind of way but not racist. It was just goofy Ashton being goofy. It was kind of cute. I thought the Indian character had a cute accent. These people are just looking for attention screaming racism at the drop of a hat. Maybe all white people should go sit in a corner so they can be happy with themselves.

821 days ago
14.

deejay    

Well, then let's be completely over the top with PC and not spoof anyone then. Why is it ok to spoof bikers and hippies then? Or is it ok as long as they are white faced?

821 days ago
15.

Grouchy Smurf    

I don't find this racist at all. If we can't make fun of one another we're never going to get past racism.

821 days ago
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web