Ashton Kutcher

Popchips Ad PULLED

Over Brown-Face

5/3/2012 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503_ashton_kutcher_raj
Ashton Kutcher's new commercial for Popchips has officially been PULLED amidst allegations of racism ... after the actor donned brownface makeup to play a goofy Bollywood producer.

The ad -- which debuted on the Popchips website -- featured Ashton playing a variety of characters in a spoof "dating" commercial ... including a biker, a hippie, and an Indian guy named Raj.

The ad pissed off a whole bunch of people -- including blogger Anil Dash ... who called the ad, "a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he's doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice."

Dash explained on his blog, "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad."

In the wake of the backlash, Popchips took down the ad ... and Popchips CEO Keith Belling issued a statement saying, "We did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."

Pudding Tang

where was the uproar when Mike Myers played love guru??? lighten up Anal Dish

BB not bb

I thought the biker/redneck character was the most disgusting, then the German guy eating dog spit, then the Indian. So the Indian ranks pretty good there. The Indian came off as a sex freak. Is that saying something then? Bollywood movies are very sexual. Did that strke a nerve we are not aware of?

Sienna Sacha

We have lost our way in this country when this type of humor is considered "racist". Of course, when hip hoppers repeat "******s" this and "******s" that,. . and liberal politicians like the ex-Klansman Robt Byrd say "white ******" on national tv it is not considered racist. . . . isn't enough, enough? . .

Jen

I don't think it's rascist at all. People are up in arms about NOTHING. They didn't make this commercial about JUST a guy in 'brownface' they had a bunch of stereotypes and if your outrage is at pigeon holing people in general than go ahead and be outraged for Everyone. But to only be angry at one of five things portrayed? Way to be less fair than the thing you're angry at. Was it a good commercial? No. And I'd bet they pulled it for THAT reason, as much as any bs about being rascist.

BethD

Here's the mentality (JSYK), only white people can be prejudiced, (I know racist is the pc word, why I don't use it). Thats why race riots conducted by blacks in LA was allowed, hatin on whites is ok, cool in fact. Which reminds me,...you white TMZ employess falling all over urselves laughing, ur asses off @ ur black colleague for talking black (WTF!?!@#!*) he's BLACK!!! of course he can talk street black. How is that even funny?? Oh right he prefaced it w/ his hate for some white musician. White people like y'all embarass me. I'm embarrassed 4 y'all cuz u don't have enough sense to be. Get some self respect and don't be such blatant racist ass kissers! for reals y'all. ;)

BB not bb

Yeah this seems like a bad commerical. I sure would't want to date any of those guys. They all look like creeps. Maybe it is prejudiced agsinst women then if you are going to call it out.

Johnnyeyez

Wow, a racist ad? So actors can only act as someone of their own race? I'm pissed they pulled ad. If you did not intend on offending anyone then have a sack and keep the ad up. It's all in good humor and I you don't see that then you are probably the racist because you take **** to seriously. We all need to laugh a bit more and learn to chill out.

KicksandGiggles

The problem is the concept of exactly what racism is. We are a melting pot of diversity w/certain characteristics and cultural lifestyles. It is not racist but factual such differences exist. We should be able to laugh about the great things that make us all different. However, to discriminate based on these differences is indeed racism and illegal. My opinion is in the long run, this crap doesn't matter. If its funny, great. If not, don't look at it and don't deny somebody else the opportunity to look at it just because you don't want to.

Zorbitor

Apu "liked" this

Thirteen

Really? This is considered racist? Are white people the only ones not throwing the "racism" word around? How's that for "racist"? The India character has been portrayed in many tv shows and movies.....so what's the big deal? Would they have been more or less offended if Ashton had portrayed the character without makeup? This is rediculous. White people don't get offended when another race portrays or dresses up and stereotypes white people. No one from ANY race is the same. So what? I think people only find things offensive when it actually applies to THEM! I dont get offended when someone makes fun of or cracks jokes stereotyping women or whites. Why? Because I know I dont fall into that stereotyped category. I would gladly agree with or laugh at your comment/joke rather than be offended by it. No one has a sense of humor these days. And believe me, after how rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful, & careless everyday-people are today, a little humor is what we need.

The Love Sponge

What offends me is that Ashton Kutcher is a ugly man anyway. He would make a freight train take a dirt road.

Alex

These f*cking east indians have nothing better to do then get offended at everything, one of the many reasons most people hate them. Lighten up, and companies/governments need to stop bending to these uptight little idiots. Time to go burn a Koran.

lowens1975

Are we systematically being forced to become a society that if we have a sense of humor about anything we will get labeled a racist? Is everyone going to be shamed into being dull and boring, not able to have an opinion about anything because it MIGHT offend someone? Lovely.

lowens1975

Mikeg

I am BROWN myself...BUT why can black people make fun just about of everyone with white accents and faces and can get away with it??