« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Junior Seau's Family

We WILL Donate His Brain

5/4/2012 5:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0504_junior_seau
Junior Seau's family will donate the NFL legend's brain to be studied for concussion research ... a rep for the family has announced.

San Diego Chargers team chaplain Shawn Mitchell told The L.A. Times, "The family was considering this almost from the beginning, but they didn't want to make any emotional decisions. And when they came to a joint decision that absolutely this was the best thing, it was a natural occurrence for the Seau family to go forward."

The family has NOT decided which research center will get Seau's brain -- but the two leading candidates are the Sports Legacy Institute at Boston University and the Brain Injury Research Institute.

As we previously reported, Seau apparently commited suicide by shooting himself in the chest -- leading many to believe he wanted to leave his brain intact so researchers could study the long-term effects of concussions sustained in the NFL.

43-year-old Seau played in the league for 20 years.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Perhaps they can shave it into thousands of slivers and donate it to the entire NFL and it's brainless troublemaking factions to add to their brain deficits, despite college educations worth hundreds of thousands that were essentially useless for learning purposes.

Ace

There's a new Facebook donor list. There's gotta be someone who needs a new brain.

the_truth_hurts

I hate to say this but they know the risk to their health when they join the NFL...Its not the NFL's fault...The players know their careers are very short and they will get hurt...they take the millions in pay so they have to assume all the risks...

Chiwawamomma

My heart goes out to his family and his oldest son Tyler Seau-Sparks.

spinner25

I suspect Seau had that in mind as well. That's why he shot himself in the chest.

dj

RIP Junior.. Dammit!! why couldn't you leave a F****** note???

northern gypsy

kudos to the family...in their time of grief they can make some savvy decisions that will confirm/deny the dangers of the sport J.S. loved...

Chris

They can/will sue the NFL if there is evidence of neurodegeneration from concussions. That's REALLY what they are interested in.

TheVolleyballGod

Why study his brain, the NFL is loaded with steroid addicts, one can just imagine how nuts they get when they get off the junk

Kanaia

I lost my boyfriend of 9 years to suicide 7 years ago and you don't see it coming usually. He left no note and left me after finding himand to live with that awful memory for the rest of my life but I had no family to help.

I pray that Junior's family work together to make it through this terrible time. It is difficult and won't be easy. I also hope Junior has found peace but I wish he could know he didn't have to do it this way.

Everyone always feels bad after someone does this so go out today and talk to your family and friends and let them know you are there for them if they need you.

I was a year ahead of Junior at USC and he was a really nice person. I wish we could have helped him before he made this decision. I pray for him and his family right now. Your were one of the best Junior! You will be missed as a player but more so a wonderful person. I think it is wonderful of his family to try to see if brain injury is a pattern for players and maybe something good from this loss.

With those of you with the stupid comments....have some respect as you obviously don't respect yourself.

No comment

I do not know if depression is related to concussions or post tramatic players syndrome. You go from being a sports hero with a work routine to an unguided life.

ShrinkWrap

I feel horrible for his family. Having been depressed enough at one time to consider suicide myself, I wish he had just waited it out. Things get better. TMZ, I am still disgusted by you filming and shooting pics of his mom having a meltdown. How low can you go?

static

He gave the middle finger to everyone who loved him....Real nice guy.

campy

"Abby who?"

"Abby.....normal"

Smarg

Stupid moke was a steroid freak.

RIP.