« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Larry Merchant

Floyd Mayweather and I

Love Each Other Now!

5/7/2012 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0506_merchant_videoLast year, they engaged in the best boxer-on-octogenarian fight ever ... but now legendary sportscaster Larry Merchant says he and Floyd Mayweather are "the best friends ever."

You'll remember ... Merchant and Mayweather really got into it during their post-fight interview last September ... when Merchant famously screamed, "I wish I was 50 years younger and I'd kick your a**."

But Sunday afternoon in Los Angeles, Merchant said he and Floyd buried the hatchet over the weekend in Las Vegas and each apologized for what went down.

As for Justin Bieber's appearance at the Mayweather-Cotto fight ... Merchant said he was "trying to get some face time on television. I think he needs it badly."

We're not sure Merchant knows who the Biebs is.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Phil

Was Beiber the ring girl?

Jordan

Justine wants to follow in mayweather shoes next thing you know he will try and knock selena around the problem is i bet on selena kicking justines a$$.

Twilight Sparkle

As much as I would hate to say it, but Justin Bieber is already a big pop sensation with desperate girls trying to get at him. He doesn't need TV face time, you can recognize the little jackass from a mile away. I want LESS of his face on TV. He can hang out with the pope for all I care and I'll still hate him.

As for the old guy, I can never hate the elderly, no matter how stupid they can get. They're like kids, only with bigger diapers :D

burning_plastic

I'm sure that Larry Merchant knows that Justin Beiber is very famous even if he doesn't know any of his songs. He was joking. Give him a break.

DavidStar12

Ahhh Larry Merchant dissed the Biebs lol

Julie2

Larry Merchant is a black eye on the sport of boxing. He's got a lot of balls to criticize boxers who stay in the game too long when he needed to go at least a decade ago. I never liked that man or his stupid contrived philosophical style...."That punch reminds me of a bagel on a warm summer's day..." He seems hammered half the time too, making his rants all the longer, and typically slurs and appears to be near passing out by the end of the matches. I wish they'd get rid of him in the worst way! Take your own advice and retire gracefully, man!

Truth

DUDE SOUNDS LIKE AN OLD DODDLING DRUNK BUT GOTTA SAY... HE TELLS THE TRUTH!! YEP, AGREE.. BIEBER WAS THERE FOR FACE TIME THE LITTLE GAY PR ATTENTION WHORE. NICE PR STATEMENT BY MERCHANT ABOUT THE SO-CALLED APOLOGY. I DOUBT THAT HAPPENED. THE COMMENTATORS ON SI SAID AFTER THE MATCH 'NO LOVE LOST BETWEEN MERCHANT AND PRETTY BOY FLOYD'. IF TRUE, FLOYD THREW COUPLA STACKS OF GREEN AT HIM. #TRUTH!!

LasVegasResidency

Sweet

kitnplayn

TMZ, you're the morons. Of course he knows who Justin Bieber is. He was making a joke, since Bieber obviously does not need any of them to get television face time.

Billy Bob

I think he knows exactly who Beiber is. He seriously needs some face time doing straight guy stuff.

kia